Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Low and trough: June 3-6

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Low and trough: June 3-6

Post by Tassiedave »

Hillybilly and/or others on this forum I would be interested in your opinion as to whether this is an unusual system for this time of year?
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Another sparkling day up here again, however the view across Kallista down to the eastern suburbs was obliterated all day by this black blanket of whatever, couldn't see anything down there at all, and it is still there now.....

AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Was getting very smokey / foggy at 5pm at Tullamarine tonite - and all the way nth to Wallan.
Peter
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

No fog here. Quite windy actually. And a warm 9.2 degree compared to 5s and 6s elsewhere
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

No fog this morning. Quite mild in fact And windy.

I wonder why this area had a microclimate yet nearly everywhere else has fog and 100% humidity.

Going by the observations, Frankston, cerberus and rhyll all are currently same as here.

Edit>> just had a look towards the north from the top of the hill across my house. Wow! Massive fog bank and it appears to be moving south towards me. I went to take a photo but by the time i went to get my camera and tripod (a whole 2 minutes) it had already moved in to within 500 metres of me and the photo wouldn't show anything.

Double edit>> thick fog has just moved in here and within about 5 minutes the wind stopped and the temperature has plummeted from 7.8 to 4.7.

Very horror-movie-ish
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Another foggy ride into work this morning although nowhere near as bad as yesterday.

Crossing my fingers and hoping there's no repeat of the fog for the drive down to Cowes later tonight.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Rain coming down from the NE, don't know if it will make it to Bendigo though.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

What a system! I will be keeping an eye on the national radar for the next 72 hours
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Skywalker wrote:Another foggy ride into work this morning although nowhere near as bad as yesterday.

Crossing my fingers and hoping there's no repeat of the fog for the drive down to Cowes later tonight.

No chance of fog tonight out this way. Unless it changes, you'll find it clears up very quickly once you get off on the south Gippsland highway.

Just drove to dandenong north and what a difference 20km make. Calm and hazy there but windy and clear in cranbourne.

I found out the reason is that we are right on the edge of the high pressure. The wind map shows this clearly
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Its getting scary over here! The media have finally latched on.
Its getting scary over here! The media have finally latched on.
Screenshot 2016-06-03 14.48.49.png (61.15 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

The BOM clearly struggling with this system, there was no mention of rain at all in this morning's forecast and now here it is. :roll:
I still think central areas are going to be right on the western edge of the rain from the ECL, but next week does look very wet here as the next system joins in the chaos. :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

C'mon, Victoria, steal this event right out from underneath NSW :twisted:
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Pleasantly surprised with this rain, light and steady. High rain rates up in Central Queensland with 57mm in the past hour at Clermont.
Go the bombersss!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Progs still look promising. GFS now back on board for most of Vic, and EC and ACCESS has decent falls. Rain, showers and storms all week with a sequence of lows, first coming in from the northeast then southwest.

Surprised to have rain here tonight. Just goes to show this event is destined to surprise us ;)

Thinking this week should be worth 50mm here, and end with a decent burst of cold air with snow on the alps :D

Btw some impressive photos around today of fog all day in the Yarra Valley. Here in the Dandenongs we sat above it in warm winter sunshine :D
Hillybilly and/or others on this forum I would be interested in your opinion as to whether this is an unusual system for this time of year?
Not really in terms of having a big low. Can think of a few big east coast lows in June. Reckon we get one about every couple of years. That said, this one looks very wet and also long lived which is unusual. More common for them to last a day or two and only affect part of the east coast. To have a low basically starting near Brisbane then repeatedly redeveloping southwest to be near northwest Tasmania is pretty rare. If GFS is correct, we could well see some spots get record rainfall. Guess.. I've just contradicted myself about this not being unusual ;)
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Still raining nicely, up to 3mm as of 10.30pm.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Rained all night here with 10mm in the gauge. Looks like it could rain/spit/drizzle most of today, likely becoming quite heavy tomorrow.

GFS and EC upgrade to 50-100mm here for the week.

Bumper falls in the drought areas of NSW and Qld... classic breakdown of El Nino system, just a bit later than usual. Starting to clock up some big fall in the ranges of northern NSW/southern Qld which could cause flooding problems soon.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

I've got towels on the line, I'm tipping they could be very wet..
Well the clothes on the line trick worked this time.
Won't help with the mowing I had planned to do today before any rain arrived.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Well it's not that foggy here but I can't see mt macedon like I usually do.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Related to this event... brisbane has had 48.6mm to 9am and a further 72mm in the last hour and a half!!!!!
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Up to 12mm here now since it started yesterday evening.