Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic: Dec 11 to 20 - Mainly dry and becoming hot

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Vic: Dec 11 to 20 - Mainly dry and becoming hot

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Storms had better start coming soon... I'm getting desperate for thunder and lightning, really tired of how this season's going, and aside from the morning drizzle we've had of late I've had no measurable rain for at least a week, really not liking it! :(

A pleasant night last night with a low of 16.2C, but boy it was stifling today with a top of 40.8C... thank goodness it wasn't windy, otherwise I would've been pretty frightened, the rains that are due had better help keep the bushfire threat down as I can't stand hot, dry weather or the sight of brown/yellow vegetation!! :(
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Reached 38.3c here today just before 4pm and then slightly cooler southerly winds came in here and its been dropping slowly since. Now down to 32.1c.
Some storms are firing in the north of the state but there's nothing in the south and it looks like it will stay that way at least for the rest of the day. Still looking somewhat unsettled over the next few days so hopefully we will get some reasonable rainfall In the coming days.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Nice view of the cell over Buxton way from here, I reckon there'll be a bit of rain coming out of that.
Here's a screen capture from the Williamstown Webcam at 8.30pm.
Royal Yacht Club of Victoria WeatherCam.png
Royal Yacht Club of Victoria WeatherCam.png (292.15 KiB) Viewed 8646 times
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Reports that there has been a few fires started from the mostly dry lightning ... not good at all, but storms were always going to be mostly dry this afternoon and tonight. The BoM have issued a STW as well:
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for DAMAGING WIND

For people in parts of the
Mallee,
Northern Country and
North East Forecast Districts.
Issued at 8:28 pm Thursday, 19 December 2013.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Mildura, Swan Hill, Echuca, Shepparton, Wodonga and Wangaratta.
Shepparton airport reported a wind gust of 105km/h at 8.22pm.
I was inside at work today for generally the whole time, except for between 12.30pm and 2.30pm where I was outside. Man it was hot, certainly felt it after a not so hot day yesterday! Not technically 40 degrees today (39.9) but can be rounded so pretty good forecasting from the AWF team, forecasting the 40 a week ahead.

Sunday looking good for storms as the trough moves back over western districts and things are more humid, moist and tropical! :)

And a beautiful Christmas! :D
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

My wish came true... in a sense! For me, today is a 'storm day' yay!!! :D

I got to watch and photograph that thunderstorm over Buxton at sunset as it was decaying, and that cell currently north of Maffra as it was building up near the Buxton cell! Both looked beautiful in the glow of the setting sun, finally happy I got to see a storm, even if it was off in the distance! :)
P
Pane
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pane »

G'day

On like donkey kong up here!!! Heaps of lightning and now it's just starting to pour.

Happy days up here.

We are very dry round here too. I said to a bloke this morning the sky looked like it would fire up this arvo. The day seamed similar to last feb when we had a similar and a big fire broke out nth of town.

Cheers
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Nice to see some storms around albeit dry storms hope they don't start too many fires.

27.4c current temp in the CBD and 23.9c at Olympic park.. Wow! CBD temp is sticking out like a sore thumb at the moment
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

3.15am 32.1 c in Mildura,
26.7 ferny creek
17.5 Scoresby. And the cicadas just started, well one anyway.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Yes, 26c here on top of the Dandenongs at 7am, a full 5c-7c warmer than most of the rest of Melbourne! :o
Probably as high as we'll get with the cooler air just down below now. Some very pretty skies this morning, lots of bubbly Alt-Cu drifting across, would usually indicate some storms around for later in the day. :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Geoff wrote: Some very pretty skies this morning, lots of bubbly Alt-Cu drifting across, would usually indicate some storms around for later in the day. :D
[/quote]

Saw that here:D fingers crossed and all cams charged. Currently 25.4/11.9 here with wind up to 37klms from the north.
I am home today, so will keep a lookout from my "perch" up on Pretty Sally. Will post on here any developements.
Peter
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Hey guys. Some pics and a short write up over at my facebook page "Rikki Pool Photography." Head on over for a look and a like. :)

I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

As always Rikki a stunning picture!
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P
Proteous
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Proteous »

Currently 36 deg. here atm after 38 yesterday. Good display of lightening last night with the distant thunder rolling off the hills. Hoping for more of the same this afternoon/night.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Unless the cooler air can make it over the divide, I can see today's temperature smashing yesterday's here. Already 38.2°C here, yesterday's top was 39.6°C by my thermometer (41.6°C at the Mangalore BOM site). There is a lot less high cloud around too today so not much to cap the temperature.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Southerly wind change has reached here; temp down from 33.6 to 30.3. By the satpic, doesnt look like the trough.
Peter
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Phew, I wish the cool change would hurry up and get here, I've just been to a funeral dressed in black and nearly melted! 30c currently in Olinda, only 20.3c in the CBD!!!
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Still awaiting a drop in the temp here, has been edging up all morning with the current temp being 29.4°C.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

That wouldn't have been much fun Geoff. I was just in Upwey and it was 29 there
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Read back through the Xmas day 2011 thread earlier today. Makes me very hungry for a big storm outbreak! What is with this stable weather!? :x
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

I appear to be sitting under a convergence line. Cu building west, thru north to the east; northern half of the sky. temp 26.4/15.5 with southerly breeze to 30klms.
Peter