Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Spring Fronts. Sep 12-14 2012

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Spring Fronts. Sep 12-?? 2012

Post by johnno »

Few rumbles again in the NW suburbs 10 mins ago with hail and heavy rain lasted 5 mins
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Lol, sorry Shell. "Here" is home, ie. Lysterfield :) Still nothing, bit of a shower before but nothing, nada, zilch! NW looks tasty though, keep looking out my window and seeing what closer in to Melbourne/west is getting and wishing it would just edge over this way just a teeny, tiny bit :P
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Just got smashed by that little red cell, hail, thunder & brief heavy rain. :D
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

How much have you had so far john? Done fairly good here 10mm since it started raining yesterday! Relocated the AWS onto the roof (so its no longer blocked by any obstructions) and i think its accurate now, aligning with the nylex!
Go the bombersss!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Fairly typical spring cold outbreak with the showers bubbling up to storm status this afternoon and dumping locally heavy rain and hail.

Had 4mm at work at lunch, 3mm back at home and nothing towards Rowville so you just got to be lucky!

20mm all up here, so a nice drop and should see another few mm of rainfall coming through tomorrow and Saturday.

Very unstable next week, forecasts are up and Johnno has compiled them tonight------------------------------------------>
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.com/forecasts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Got 2mm here over the last 24 hrs so nothing exciting, wind was bloody cold though, probably dried the ground out more than what has gone into it over the last few days unfortunately. Next week might have a little more promise, moreso east vic atm.

Rhino. :) :)
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Hey Stefan, I had bit over 4mm this morning thought it was 3mm but had a proper look again later was 4mm then another 5mm since so 9.5mm im guessing for here
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Yep roughly the same as here then so thats good ;)
Go the bombersss!
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

The rain last night was a lot better than the official BOM forecasts seemed to suggest... 17.9mm from the rainband with an additional 1.1mm from today's showers and thunderstorms :) some sharp temperature variations as the front moved through overnight, top of 22.8C yesterday, dropped to 5.8C at around 6:30AM, then hit only 15.7C this arvo... quite a lively early-spring cold front for Victoria :)

Good thing the showers didn't reach the CBD until lunchtime and mostly disappeared before sunset, otherwise I might've been caught out in the rain and hail during my morning and evening bus and train trips :P some of those showers and thunderstorms were quite intense, but I don't recall any hail, let alone any thunder or lightning while I was at RMIT, only brief bursts of heavy rainfall

It seems to me that the weather here in Victoria (at least here in the Melbourne area) is doing a lot better than what the climate forecasts seem to be pointing towards. The BOM keeps forecasting a drier than usual spring in response to the positive IOD and the El Nino-like conditions in place in the Indian Ocean, yet we're still getting reasonably good rainfall (at least for the time being). I sure do hope we continue to defy the rainfall predictions over the coming spring/summer period, because this rain is giving Melbourne's water catchments a helping-hand - so far 76.8% and still rising. :)

Still looking good for Saturday up north in Yarrawonga/Mulwala (low of 5C, high of 18C and sunny). Are we still looking towards a humid, unstable period with showers and thunderstorms early next week?
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Hello ASF,

I just posted about it in the General Weather section :) Certainly are looking forward to that convective style of weather returning from around Sunday/Monday. And should persist right through next week so another busy week of weather on here. Stay tuned.

Otherwise, very chilly out there, those spring temps are going up and down like a honey moon blind! Should see some frost out in the suburbs by morning continuing the trend of the poor overnight minima forecasting by the BoM. Forecast was 7C here tonight and we are already 5C!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Should see quite few showers and drizzle patches develop this afternoon along a cold front through Bass Strait. This will translate north this afternoon and affect all southern and mountain areas. Could get 5-10mm in pockets of the dividing range.

Rivers continue to be in minor flood after that moderate event. Take care out there.

Weekend not looking too shabby, but we still have some showers about, more likely on Sunday afternoon with the possibility of thunderstorms.
s
sparra
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by sparra »

aussiestormfreak » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:08 pm wrote:
aussiestormfreak wrote:
It seems to me that the weather here in Victoria (at least here in the Melbourne area) is doing a lot better than what the climate forecasts seem to be pointing towards. The BOM keeps forecasting a drier than usual spring in response to the positive IOD and the El Nino-like conditions in place in the Indian Ocean, yet we're still getting reasonably good rainfall (at least for the time being).
Glad you added "at least here in Melbourne" cause we certainly are falling into the drier than usual out this way. Have had 30 points so far and need some more soon. Canola is in full flower and some of the earlier crops are getting that blue tinge.....they need a drink. Beginning to hate this time of year.....strong warm northerly winds followed by a few spits of moisture.....anyway....that's my whinge for the morning!!! ;) :)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

LOL Sparra, whinge away! You can!! :)

I think your luck will change over the coming week with the opportunity of light to moderate falls over the week from Sunday with an inland trough. Might be some thunderstorms around, so will have to watch them closely for hail risk etc.
e
eegs
Cumulus
Reactions:
Location: Live - Westernport, Holiday - Mansfield, Work - Nth Qld, Cent Qld, Sth Qld, Sunraysia

Post by eegs »

Crappy day down here today. Cold, grey and windy with regular light drizzle.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Yeah a little drier than I thought. I was anticipating a few more showers than this.

Coming down now out there but not lasting long.

Forecasts are up this evening, courtesy of moi! Thundery weather coming!!!

http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.com/forecasts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Never mind this stuff, just drizzly patches. Some unsettled weather appearing next week which is signs the switch is now coming.

However, in a few weeks we could see a very large system brewing with an almighty LWT, its a few weeks away but i have seen the signs for something major.

Given by then we should see some heat down here and a humidity increase, could be the start of the southern wet season.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

I guess new thread should be started for next week Monday onwards? Cos this thread is more to do with this weeks cold fronts where next weeks weather is seperate from whats happened this week
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

first post for the week, im still (mostly) computerless. after avery warm day on wednesday (14C) we had a real doozy yesterday, real winter weather, frequent snow flurries and a very heavy shower of sago snow that turned evrything white for about 20 mins, the temp mostly hovered around 4C and it peaked at 6C.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

couple mm, heavy drops for a few seconds all add up.