Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Weather station purchase

All general weather related discussion & questions, including model discussions, longer-term outlooks & anything non-breaking weather.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Weather station purchase

Post by Onetahuti »

Hi all, I am thinking of updating my weather station, currently have a LaCrosse on which the anemometer is no more, pole on which it was snapped. Not really looking at the top of the range but not completely ruling it out but one that has a good range of data available. Is it better to have the various instruments seperate ie not at the top of the pole as my hunch is that the readings for temperature and rainfall in particular may not be as acruate as they could be. Have no preference as to solar or battery powered, making the assumption all stations are wireless transmission.
My thanks in advance. Rod.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Weather station purchase

Post by JasmineStorm »

Hi Rod,

Depends on how precise you want your readings in my opinion. For me, I can't go past a Davis station which can be a little more pricey but super reliable and has good options.

If you are in a built up area, I would suggest you have your wind readings from a height at least above the height of houses in your neighbourhood. Nothing more frustrating than a big wind gust and you get a 10 km/h gust reading on your consol :) Rain and temp should be located 1.5m above ground away from trees and buildings. It might blow your budget but I suggest a Davis Vantage Pro2 - Wireless 6152, which allows the anemometer to be mounted separately, from the rain collector (up to 12m)

Cheers
JS
T
Tanevan
New User
Reactions:

Post by Tanevan »

JasmineStorm wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:52 pm Hi Rod,

Depends on how precise you want your readings in my opinion. For me, I can't go past a Davis station which can be a little more pricey but super reliable and has good options.

If you are in a built up area, I would suggest you have your wind readings from a height at least above the height of houses in your neighbourhood. Nothing more frustrating than a big wind gust and you get a 10 km/h gust reading on your consol :) Rain and temp should be located 1.5m above ground away from trees and buildings. It might blow your budget but I suggest a Davis Vantage Pro2 - Wireless 6152, which allows the anemometer to be mounted separately, from the rain collector (up to 12m)

Cheers
JS
Hello
I have been watching this post as I looking for a weather station as well.
I am looking at the Davis line. Been doing a little research on line there seems to be a little bit of difference of opinion about connecting it to your PC. Some say it is easy others are saying that it is too hard and too add this, the price increases a lot. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this
are.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Tanevan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Cheers
JS
Hello
I have been watching this post as I looking for a weather station as well.
I am looking at the Davis line. Been doing a little research on line there seems to be a little bit of difference of opinion about connecting it to your PC. Some say it is easy others are saying that it is too hard and too add this, the price increases a lot. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this
are.
Hi Tanevan, welcome to the forum.

It is a little bit of a tricky set up but once its up and running, there is no looking back. Just make sure you have a support number to call if it gets too hard. Given your harsh climate in the Pilbara, a quality tough station would be quite important.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

i see Jaycar had a couple of reasonable priced ones, does anyone have any feed back on these. ?
I previously had a cheapy from Bunnings, the customer support was amazing, phone support new parts shipped, so it sure was value for money, Id like a new one also.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

The Davis vantage vue is a cheaper version but you can't have the wind cups in a separate location as they mounted as part of the weather station. Depending on what you are after, this maybe fine.

YouTube is a great place to see reviews on all types of stations. Some the Davis stations mentioned on there is are still going after 30 years :)
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Cheers
JS
Decided on the Davis Vantage 6152 wireless, delivery it is on it's way. 👍
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Onetahuti wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:31 am

Cheers
JS
Decided on the Davis Vantage 6152 wireless, delivery it is on it's way. 👍
Exciting times....nothing like a top of the range weather station about to arrive in the mail ;)