Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tornado Alley

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Re: Tornado Alley

Post by AUSSKY »

31 then - we need 200 to book it out!!!!! Best get started! hehehe
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Count me in Jane!!
Peter
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

32 coming!!

Clyve Herbert
Jane ONeill
Tornado
Meso +1
Daviescr
mad*moo73
Twister
johno
Rivergirl and maybe husband Ken
Darren & Tracey
Jane & Stu
bluey1960 +1
schnitzngiggles
Karl +1
Rikki & Trish +2
Ross Ogilvie
apocalypse
Paul Yole
Sarah & Cam
cosmic planet +1
Peter Matters

and we have a suggestion for a venue for dinner.....any other thoughts?

"There is a terrific pub in Exhibition Street/Little Lonsdale called Coopers. They have a function room upstairs. Food is fabulous, generous servings and extremely reasonable. Very popular with city workers. Chicken parma is huge and vies for top parma awards. Within easy walking distance of IMAX.

Just a suggestion.

Diane"
(1999 -2016)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I am all for that location. Anywhere with a function room that can seat all us nuts is probably a good get. And seeing it is a pub, the food is fairly broad and everyone is bound to like something from the menu!!

I am all for that idea!!

Nice work Diane!!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

You can change my status to 'most likely' and +1 (Mum). :)
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Great you're bringing your mum along apocalypse, love your sig :)

Venue sounds fine. Bit hard to rock into a Lygon St restaurant with 30 people lol
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

I've got her watching Storm Chasers now. "It's actually exciting." :P
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

Not if you book it out first it isn't ;)
Rivergirl » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:10 am wrote:
Rivergirl wrote:Great you're bringing your mum along apocalypse, love your sig :)

Venue sounds fine. Bit hard to rock into a Lygon St restaurant with 30 people lol
(1999 -2016)
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

The first review (that' I've seen) of the movie from Andrew Pritchard (USA) reproduced from his blog "Prairiestorm Media" ( http://prairiestorm.blogspot.com/ ) with his permission.

"I was invited by the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago to attend the world premiere of Sean Casey's IMAX film last night and figured I would share my thoughts on the final production. It's been a long time coming, and getting to be among the first in the world to see it was awesome!

I wrote up a brief review on my blog here: http://prairiestorm.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but I'll copy and paste the brunt of it below.

Sean's film far exceeded my expectations. In a way that's hard to say though, because I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was not sure if he'd go the route of a quiet nature documentary, or something with a lot of behind the scenes mumbo jumbo. As it turns out, he found the perfect middle ground.

I would equate the film to the movie Twister, but without the crappy Hollywood special effects. Plenty of action, but with 100% real in your face tornado video. Rather than computer animated houses rolling on to the road, you've got real life 50 gallon oil drums flying past the camera like leaves blowing in a breeze. There was a lot of shuffling around and mix-matching dates, but when you're fitting a decade of filming into a 45 minute film there isn't a lot of time to establish different filming dates. Any storm chaser could probably tell you that each subsequent scene was not from the same date, but the general public would probably never know. He was also able to mix in some behind the scene information on the Vortex 2 project, but not so much that it became boring and lost its way. A little information was cool, but people aren't filling the theater to see IMAX footage of gear covered trucks and gangly grad students hanging out in wheat fields. They managed to fit in just the right amount.

As if anyone familiar with the storm chasing world didn't see it coming, his featured "shot" was during the Goshen County, Wyoming tornado. The scene from the Discovery Channel show Storm Chasers can be seen here. The shot was definitely sweet, but I don't even think it was in the Top 5 coolest shots featured in the film, but that may just be the storm chaser in me.

Sean and crew were inside Wadena, Minnesota on June 17th 2010 when a massive EF4 violent tornado rolled through the town. The footage captured by his IMAX camera while they drove through, and came to a stop in a residential town were just incredible. You can see the Discovery Channel clip from this intercept here: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There a snippits from Sean's IMAX camera in there, but the quality is low and for obvious reasons they did not air any of the coolest shots. I couldn't help feel like I was a helpless resident of Wadena standing on my front lawn watching this monster fly by my home while I watched this scene.

The other thing that struck me while watching this film, was that it was almost like getting to stand and watch a tornado in real life while in a protective bubble. As a storm chaser I've been close to significant tornadoes before, but during these moments your heart is racing and you're often concerning yourself with several things while you watch the tornado churn. Being able to see a tornado in as close to real life as you are going to get without being there as it happened, but being able to sit in a reclined leather chair while it happens was amazing. You've got a life size tornado, with your body shaking from the loud roar of the tornado, and you're able to just sit back and look up/down and side to side at all the beauty of the tornado in front of you. While watching the Discovery Channel show, there were often comments that the 'IMAX' shots that the TV show slipped in were pretty lame, and many hoped that his actual footage was much better. Well, obviously Sean wasn't going to let his best shots go for a television series - and those who are hoping that seeing a tornado on an IMAX screen would be all that it's cracked up to be, you certainly won't be disappointed. Even some of the shots of rotating wall clouds prior to tornado formation were surreal to see on the big screen.

In the times that I have run into Sean Casey and his TIV in the field I haven't always been thrilled with his presence. On two separate occasions I was honked at aggressively to move out of my own lane to avoid a head on collision with him due to other cars parking on the roadways (and in his lane). As Sean mentioned in the Q&A section as someone of course brought up the issue of "non-professional" storm chasers getting in his way while filming, no one has any more right to the road than the other, regardless of their purpose. I realize he had built a tank, and was filming a multi-million dollar project, but I did not take it kindly being honked at to attempt to coax me into driving into the ditch so he can drive on the wrong side of the road in my lane. But when you're in the field and have the added stress of filming a production adrenaline can easily get the best of you, I've let things go. After seeing this film I am glad he was out there filming.

While he likely has no idea who I am, and I have rarely been thrilled to see his giant tank driving down the road toward me, I can definitely say that the final product is something that I was thrilled to be able to experience. I know many of my friends already have tickets to see the show this weekend and am sure they will not be disappointed.

Andrew Pritchard (USA)"
(1999 -2016)
rogeressig
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by rogeressig »

just a had a brief chat with the driver of TIV2 on facebook..

[me] Marcus, I'm a fan of your teams' work! just wanted to let you know we have about 40 of us going to see tornado alley when it comes out in melbourne australia, we hope to get to 200.

[Marcus Gutierrez] AWSOME!! Thanks for the support!

[me] heheh cheers man

:D
rogeressig
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by rogeressig »

http://www.imaxmelbourne.com.au/#/movie ... _alley_3d/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

date is now set at the 22nd september 2011 :D
rogeressig
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by rogeressig »

a transcript of the live chat Sean Casey had with 6O minutes in Australia, answering viewers questions.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/webc ... sean-casey
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

rogeressig » Mon May 02, 2011 8:36 pm wrote:
rogeressig wrote:date is now set at the 22nd september 2011 :D
Uggh, a Thursday night. Not too keen on makin the trip down to Melbourne on a work night.
rogeressig
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by rogeressig »

who knows if the date will change again, of course will be good to set a date that will suit most people.
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

it will most likely be the Saturday night of opening week......once they confirm that they promise not to move the date again, we can go ahead and book..... Jane
(1999 -2016)
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Hi Jane, Any news on this? Gotta get working on my wife so I can get it in the diary :)
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Put me down to, would really like to see this.
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

Should know the day in the next day or so - will be Thursday 22nd September, Friday 23rd or Saturday 24th - just confirming which night Sean will be there!!
(1999 -2016)
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

I've just spoken to IMAX in Melbourne and they have confirmed the date that Sean will be attending for a Q & A session as well as the movie as Thursday 22nd September. Natalie will confirm the time of the session and the cost and any other goodies she can rattle up in the next day or so....

If you wold like to join us (and can on that night, could you please email me at ausstorm@gmail.com and we can confirm numbers ASAP - also we are going to invite people from the universities, Bureau of Meteorology, CFA units and anyone else you can think of.....let's see how many we can get to the night!!! If you would like to bring anyone else please add their names too!!!

Final Attendees
Jane ONeill
Clyve Herbert
(1999 -2016)
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Jane do we have details on time of thursday it will be and a cost??
Thanks
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...