Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

All Things Aviation / Australian International Airshow

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

All Things Aviation / Australian International Airshow

Post by Dc449 »

Been looking forward to this since the last one. March 1-6. The air force is marking the 90th Anniversary at this years Airshow. Hopefully we get better weather, last year was terrible but still good fun!.
Many people here going to go? im trying to go Friday and Saturday or Sunday (depending on weather).
fortius quo fidelius
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Australian International Airshow

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Hi mate. I am looking to go this year. I have always wanted to attend, and I might be able to at last. Is there any particular days that are the best from Friday to Sunday, or are they all pretty similar? Should I go one or two days ?
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Well Saturday and Sunday are both day shows while Friday starts during the afternoon and goes into the night. 'Friday Night alight' i think they call it. I have only been on the Saturday in 05 and Sunday 07 and 09. I wait until the weather forecast to come out and choose what day looks to be better. So this year as i said im hoping to go to the Friday/night show, fireworks and explosions at night seem pretty cool and also the Saturday or Sunday show! Saturday and Sunday are pretty similar.
If you dont get a grandstand seat, take a seat and set up nice and early if you want a good spot. I get their when the gates open and sit right on the fence.
fortius quo fidelius
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Thanks for that DC mate. ;)

We are currently looking at purchasing the 'Gold Tickets'. My grandmother used to be a pilot and she has never been, so I was thinking of taking her along to see it all out. And her father was a pilot in the Second World War, so we both have interests in aviation. Shame I can't get me P's til May, looks like she will be taking me!! :P

Thanks for the info mate. Might bump into you one of the days. We are looking at Friday and Saturday at this stage.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

I'll be going for sure probably 2 or 3 days (maybe one of the media days) depending on the weather which I hope is a lot better this year then 2009. I usually get there early (before gates open) on the public days to have a spot right on the fence line.

Hoping for a big International Military presence this year. I've read that the U.S will have 15 F-22 Raptors in Japan over the next 4 months so there will be a possible chance they will send 2 down here for the show which is where most of the U.S aircraft come from to Avalon. Wont really know until very close to the show on what Military aircraft will show up as they are obviously on very strict guidelines.

2009 highlight was the B-1B Bomber which did not get to fly on Sundays show because of low cloud, though I already saw it on Friday. It's one of the loudest aircraft you will ever hear take off (if you get to see one up close) and shakes the ground at the same time recording around 2 on the richter scale like Top Fuel drag cars up close.

Here's the beast taking off
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Yeah i know Matt Hall will be flying, red bull air race pilot. I do wish the X-Team attend, 09 they werent their. 07 they were and was an amazing act.
fortius quo fidelius
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

The Airshow website has released a list of aircraft to attend which is not usually the case so early, which some of that list will possibly change before the show.

http://www.airshow.net.au/avalon2011/ai ... splay.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What really stands out for me is:
F-22
B-1
B-2

The F-22 and B-2 are worth going to the show for alone as this is a first for Australia.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Yeah i do hope the B2 does show up. Hopefully they have the full roulettes, when i went last year they only had the one roulette flying.
fortius quo fidelius
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Hello fellow tragics.

I can only hope the F22 is not static display, I will let you know what I find out.

For those not wanting to pay to get in, there are excellent views, actually better, than inside the gates, just 500 yards from the train station.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Vortex Air http://www.vortexair.com.au/index.php?o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... Itemid=172

is offering return flights from Moorabbin to Avalon from $195 PP RETURN, which is good value and less than other companies have charged over the years. Ive paid that each way before!

If you have never flown in, I highly recommend it, its great hassle free fun. I find flying in and especially out, you dont lose the buzz of the show spending hours in traffic or on the trains.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Was thinking about taking my son.?
Any advice on kids at the airshow..?
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Theres as many kids as there is flies. Most lil ones have ear plugs if not ear muffs. There is jack all seating, so I would take some folding chairs. By about 2pm theres rugrats asleep everywhere.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Yeah i would love to get a chartered flight in to the airshow. Not this year though, maybe in 2013. I am just hoping the weather is much better this year. So we get a full show in.
fortius quo fidelius
B
Bellarine
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Bellarine »

I'm being given a ticket for my birthday - I'm keen to see the warbirds - esp the ww2 RAAF aircraft - if only the Beaufighter would fly again (I am collecting my pair of undercarriage legs next week)
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

F22 will be static at 200 metres and flybys only, i.e. gentle passes good for pics, but no earth breaking manouvres, this is from the horses mouth. Ive hired 8G worth of camera to photograph it, I wouldnt do that if it was static only, so I urge you to get down and have a lookie. It will be well worth it.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Hey Mick just wondering whether that is you on jetpsotter?
fortius quo fidelius
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Yerp, aviation tragic me.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

mick wrote:Yerp, aviation tragic me.
hahaha yeah i had a feeling. I have been watching that site for a while now.
fortius quo fidelius
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

We need someone to stick their neck out and make a long range forecast.

Over the years we have had every type of weather known to man, they have tweaked the date again, once upon a time March was the most stable weather in Melbourne, now who knows.

For those on a budget, you can get better views outside the gates than in, as inside, you are always looking into the sun, from just near the station, the sun is behind you, hundereds camp by the roads in chairs. cars get moved on but people dont.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Vortex Air have a few seats left for both days, Moorabbin to Avalon, $195 return. Takes 20 minutes, trust me, if you got the cash, when you are looking down at the stream of cars not going anywhere fast, you will be in heaven. On PT, it costs 7 bucks for a travel card and 17 bucks for the Vline, then you have to get on the bus from the station, and it can take 30 minutes on the bus on a good day. Then theres waiting for the trains, 20 minutes stop at North Melbourne, and so it goes. I did PT once but never again.

Im home downloading 3000 pics and having a coldie, watching the news, live coverage of the traffic jams whilst most are still in the carpark!