Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

2010 Commonwealth Games

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

2010 Commonwealth Games

Post by Blackee »

Just in case anyone is remotely interested, discuss all things Comm Games here! :P ;)
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: 2010 Commonwealth Games

Post by Dc449 »

Something i would like to say
'Where is everyone?'
Stadiums are empty, it is a shame.
fortius quo fidelius
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Yeah, I agree. I was watching the swimming and gymnastics and the places looked empty! I didn't agree with the media commentators yesterday saying the games were a "waste of time" and that "nobody was interested" - we are! Doesn't quite have the same atmosphere when you're watching it on telly without the crowds, though. I wonder why the arenas are so empty, tickets too pricey, security concerns or something else?
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Agree - where is everyone? I remember how hard it was to get tickets for the swimming, gymnastics, etc. when the games were in Melbourne! Why give the games to a country where nobody is interested in attending?
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

OK, I take it back a bit. I've been watching the swimming tonight and there seems to be a lot more people there now. Maybe it was just because it was heats there weren't too many people there?

Agree with you Moo, in Melbourne you couldn't get a ticket! But then, they do say we're sports mad nuts down here so maybe that's why :p
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

It is a shame there are so many empty seats, but I read today that about 95% of people earn less in a month than the cost of a typical ticket, so not surprising really. A BBC reporter asked the question - every empty seat has the potential to inspire a child to get into sports, so why not give tickets away to needy kids???

The response was, 'errr, we're thinking about it'!!! Crazy - if a ticket is not sold 24hrs out form an event, it's unlikely to sell at all, so give em away!

Sadly, it's exactly the that - the empty seats - that will hasten the demise of the Commonwealth Games
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

I remember watching the Commonwealth games in Malaysia and it was the same thing, so many empty seats. Swimming always seems a bit more populated like Lily said
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

The reason why no one is there is because most are to busy working in call centers annoying us every day lol

I've really had no interest of the games being in India, the only sport they can host is Cricket.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

On a lighter note, couldn't help but have a laugh at the british synchronised diving team that just won gold. One of the divers is called 'Max Brick'. I wonder if he sinks like one??
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/commonw ... 082591.stm
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Thank goodness this is over.
I couldn't get into it at any stage!!

Congrats to all Aussie medal winners, but glad to see you gone until London 2012!
Mansfield 370m and Elwood