Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

The Weight Loss Journey!!

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

The Weight Loss Journey!!

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Soooooooooooooo,

Since July I have lost another 8kg of weight after gaining nearly 10kg due to circumstance - and I tell you it has been a hard slog this time!! I must say it is not an easy thing. Currently sitting on 107kg and aiming for around 100kg mark (for those who have not seen me I am about 20ft tall so I don't want to look like a stick insect!!).

Anyone done the big weight loss journey before and have any tips!?

I am exercising about 6 days a week and it is still a challenge mentally! I still dream about that BIG MAC!!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: The Weight Loss Journey!!

Post by Rivergirl »

Congrats Karl, that's so wonderful! Good luck on the rest of your journey. I really admire you being able to keep to that regime. You're inspiring :P
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Karl Lijnders wrote: Anyone done the big weight loss journey before and have any tips!?
Can't help you there old mate, I've never been able to put weight ON, how do you do it??? :?
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Lets go and have a dinner box each from McDonalds!! That was rock bottom! :P
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Awesome stuff, Karl, well done. You must be feeling so good :D So, what have you been doing, how have you done it? Before getting sick I was exercising too, even managed to start some running again after many, many years! Now I'm lucky to walk to the letterbox, mind you lol :|

Would be good to hear what you've done to budge the weight, always helps to hear other people's stories. I know Shell has been doing some extra work too, must be the time of year where we're all starting to think about summer coming up (sorry to give away any secrets, Shell :P ).

Can attest to Karl's height, when I try to talk to him, he's waaaaaaaaay up there lol!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

lolol!! Yes I am rather tall - but the wind won't blow me over that is for sure :P

I have spent a lot of time exercising. I guess it has come down to burning off more than what I put into my mouth each day. Now I have still had cheeseburgers when I have felt like them but not heaps. I make sure that I earn the credit so to speak before i go and have one.

Do not eliminate carbs, just eat sensible carbs, so dark rye, light rye breads, wholemeal pasta, etc. Anything white and processed, like white bread is like a candy bar for the stomach, no no no no no!

And water! And soy instead of full cream or skim milk - good iron content in the milk as well.

That is all I can think of for now.

I can give tips for exercise later :)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Sounds very sensible, I was approaching things much the same way - watch the carbs, monitor what's going in v. what energy is being expended in return. It's not rocket science, but hard to do sometimes, that's for sure.

Well done, you! Hoping to get back on the wagon again, I've walked twice so far this week, only 3km each time and not walking that fast, but hoping to keep building up slowly and surely. It's not a patch on what I was doing, but I guess baby steps for me for now.

Before I got sick, I was really enjoying using the Nikeplus app, it's awesome, you can track your progress, how fast you're running, distance, calories burnt, etc. If you don't have it, can highly, highly recommend it, I found it a huge motivation. Join up online and download the app :)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I use My Fitness Pal - (add me if you want to track my progress etc) But certainly I will join the Nikeapp too.

I think doing this with other people makes the journey that bit easier, and I know that having a forum here with people that are also on the same journey as me, makes it easier too.

I still have days where I want to devour everything, but I still keep my eye on the prize! :)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Haven't seen My Fitness Pal, will have a look.

One of the biggest things I cut out was the drinks, for the times I got sick of drinking water I started making my own cordial with lemon and/or lime juice and use stevia for some sweetness. You can get it at health food stores, Woolies also have it, I use Hermestas brand. I've also used the stevia powder in place of sugar in baking, I make a fat free, sugar free (but unfortunately not carb free!) apricot cake as a treat sometimes.

We've also been making an effort to have a proper high protein cooked breakfast, previously we had skipped it (bad of us, I know).
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I never had breakfast and I am just starting to see why it is soooo important! I could not budge my weight or even sweat for a few weeks, even while exercising which really pointed out the fact that my metabolism was shot to the violet... so I have fixed that by eating proper food!

I have a lot of hard boiled eggs as snacks, they are great for protein and recovery and really low in calories if you are counting.

I drink tonnes of water, and like I said, gain a lot of iron through drinking soy. I don't eat a heap of meat, so it is one of my main sources.

Also another good snack is Rivita with the brand 'Black Swan Hommus and Garlic'. Sooooo good!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Yeah, it's true what they say, breakfast really is an important meal. I think you do notice it when you start to do some serious exercise, much like you that was when I realised that I probably should stop abusing my body and get some decent food into me in the morning 8-)

Mmmmmm, the Ryvitas sound good, might have to try them. I've been using the Helgas Sandwich Thins, good for breakkie with an egg and a mid rasher of bacon (no rind of course). They're also nice with some finely chopped peppers, mushroom, spanish onion and grated cheese melted over them or (family favorite) spinach leaves, a bit of chopped chicken breast, fresh sliced pineapple, bit of grated cheese then I water down some BBQ sauce to make it drizzly and put just a touch of it over the top, then put it under the grill. Really yummy!

I haven't tried soy in years and years, I really hated it when I last tried it as a teen. Probably should give it another shot I guess.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Yep. Im starting again, always starting, want to budge 15kg but might start with 8 for now.
Been hanging out down at Fitlife FTG. 3/4 times a week when time permits and then trying to add other exercise in also.
If you want results this is the place to go, they are in the process of getting into a new building very soon.
First session free, see you down there some time. http://fit-life.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Im loving the boxing and the burbees are getting easier each time. I was wanting to do the 8 week weight loss but needing a few more to get to the 10 ppl for the challenge to run.
I hit the road the other week and got a jog of over 5klm in which i was very proud of.
Last year I did 2 rounds of Michelle Bridges 12WBT, if anyone is struggling this is the go, ppl loosing half there body weight just totally amazing. and while Im sitting typing this its not getting my exercise done..
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 365&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heidi won the previos round of 12WBT and you can see why. Some of the photo's out there are just amazing.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

WOW Shell! Amazing! I ran 10km on the road yesterday and it was hard work! Up to date I have lost 10kg!! :)

Now I know that I need to move into the toning phase and more resistence training but I don't want to lol. I just want to ignore it, but to move the flab, this is required!! :)

How often do you run?
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Karl.. thats not my photos.. that is one of the winners of 12WBT, she is down to s size 10. she has lost even more now.
Im going to use Heidi as motivation..
I am doing Tommy's fitlife 8 week challenge starting wed, I did a class this morning and it nearly killed me.
warm up, star jumps, thrusters, froggy's, pushup's, foot switch, crunches, running punches, burpees, running punches, get ups, jogging 50 star jumps, kicking bag, squatts, running and more star jumps, boxing gloves and pads then onto abs, RED HEAD and sweet. even tyring just typing all that.. I love that place tho. ppl are nice and OM you feel so so good after.. definatly not during.
I only run if I cant do a class, when I start this 8 week challenge I will be doing 4 class's, one PT and maybe hit the 1000 steps and then any extra but might have trouble fitting the extras in..
Fitlife is addictive, I would have never understood if someone said they were addicted to exercise..
Keep posting for motivation..
Robyn hows the drive way going..?
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I am lost if do not run or do some form of exercise, and I find it hard to have rest days.

How do you cope with the referral pains Shell? I find it hard at times in my knees and hips? Maybe I need a massage?
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

I go to a remedial massuse every fortnight for maintenance,
last week her comments were, everytime you up the bootcamp style training this always happens.
Over did it a bit with training, wipper snippering and lawnmowing or lifting mower in and out of car.
had a slower week last week all good now.. squatts wernt doing my back any favours.
New pillow is a treat too.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Yeah I think I need a new pillow. I have been getting sore neck issues.

I think the main soreness has been my legs. Maybe I need to get that looked at as I am training for the Melbourne Marathon coming up in October. My first ever marathon so a bit nervous. Got to train a bit more carefully now I think.

Lost 10kg to date, so going to celebrate with Red Curry tonight and maybe coconut rice as a treat :)
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

No Exercise here today looks like I need to do the next 6 in a row,
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

I reckon you lot should all go for a long run tomorrow (Wednesday) with the wind in your backs, then catch the bus home, should be easy! :P
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Might end up at Easter Island!!

Or alternatively I might go for a run into the wind at home and get that much needed resistence training!! :P

Smashed it yesterday at the gym, was a good session. Back tonight - hopefully there is not too much damage around so I can get there!