Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

The Australian Open Tennis Tournament 2010

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

The Australian Open Tennis Tournament 2010

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Well it's nearly started, next Monday, and I cannot wait, I am going to be glued to the screen/internet for scores and matches! I will be attending the Open next Thursday and Friday, which will be even better and cannot wait!!! :D

I want a Roger Fed and Andy Roddick final this year!! But there are plenty of good up-coming stars so you never know, some upsets likely!
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: The Australian Open Tennis Tournament 2010

Post by Rivergirl »

Yes I just love the Australian Open. Hopefully I'll get there this year. I heard from Pat's mum at Christmas and she said he is playing a Wimbledon final 2001 small rematch against Goran Ivanesvic at one of the mens semi finals. He will also be playing doubles in the Legends tennis. I was impressed how Andy was playing during the year so hopefully he can go all the way
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Hewitt, Tsonga, Federer, Verdasco, Roddick, Baghdatis.. I will be happy if any of them win
fortius quo fidelius
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

I'm going with Verdasco.
Like the way he plays!
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Well Sharapova struggling in the first set a bit today, but not spoiling it so won't say anymore. They are still playing, and had a game with 8 deuces!
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Jake, I just don't get womens tennis at times!! :lol:
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

You should have seen the gruntfest this morning between Kirilenko and Sharapova. Crazy stuff. I don't understand why the women grunt so much on the court but the men don't seem to half as much.

Women's tennis can actually be a lot more interesting than mens because they have more rallies and less short points on serve and the rallies seem to have more strategy and variety of shots. Unless you are one of the Williams sisters or Sam Stosur who hit the ball harder than some of the men.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Yeah it was a cracker of a match Andrew. I am looking forward to going to the Open on Thursday/Friday! Should be some great matches!

Great win for Nadal last night as well, but our Aussie bloke gave him a run for his money in the first set! Though he needs to work on his serves. It's a shame Jelena Dokic could not win last night, but Andy Murray went well against Anderson! :D
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Funny how tennis commentators and sports commentators in general often can't help themselves from barracking for or against players. Jim Courier is sounding like some guy in front of the TV at home with his barracking against Tomic tonight. I am not really a fan of Tomic myself from what I have seen from him, mainly his attitude and a few instances of off court behaviour that have been dodgy, but he is playing a really good game so far tonight and Jim Courier can't stand it.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Ture Andrew, Jim Courier wears his heart on his sleave and it's not hard to tell who he is "rooting for" in Yank terms!

On another matter re. 2010 Australian Open. I am bitterly disappointed that the media games have affected the coverage of the tournament. In years gone by, Fox Sports have covered the open a minimum of one channel. It gives those with pay TV a choice of games to watch of Channel 7 is showing a match that you may not be interested in. However, Channel seven asked for double the price that Fox Sports paid for last years rights, and with good reason, Foxtel declined. Further to this, apparently Seven can't show another match on their Digital channel due to some stupid legislation.

Very disappointing!!
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Well im a RF man...and anyone playing Lleyton Hewitt.

When i get the chance, i like to sit down and watch a bit, but with 3 young children that isn't very often.

Already planning to take until the Oz day long weekend off next year, as opposed to 2nd Monday in Jan, and actually go to a game as i have never been.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Anth, an effortless display by Fed tonight.
He dismantled Victor Hanescu, 2, 3 & 2.
Looking forward to seeing Rafa play tomorrow night!!!
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Nice to see Stosur march on, and do it a lot easier today although I missed the game. I can't really get into the tennis this year, it is way too late in the year when a lot of people are preparing to go back to work or school, it's very disruptive really. I know a lot of players complained about the heat and wanted it later (1 week later is hardly going to help that anyway, :roll: ) but it is an Australian tournament and Australians and also overseas tourists on holiday attend and we are all available in summer and no other time over a 2 week period.

I went a few times when I was a teenager, both Rod Laver and the outside courts and it is easily the best sport to get right up close to the players and the action and feel part of it. Crowd atmosphere is amongst the best of any sport as well.

The game on atm with Dellacqua is becoming a bit of a marathon. |:/
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Casey has just won. Glad it's over as I was getting fed up with Sandy Roberts ohhhing and ahhhing and grunting when Casey would make an error!
Gotta love unbiased commentary!! ;)
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Going to the tennis Monday night!! The wife surprised me and bought 2 tix for Monday night, so i wont have to wait till next year after all!
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Good on ya Anthony!

I just got back from the tennis. Spent Thursday and Friday there; we had the Rod Laver tickets including outside courts.

(Excuse my spelling below for the tennis names) :roll:

The first match I saw was Novak Djokavic versus Marco Chiudinelli. I was going for Novak, but the opposition was amazing. Marco really had it going against Novak, some great hitting and it was a fantastic start to the day. It ended up being a 4 set match, Novak winning 3-6, 6-1, 6-1, 6-3.

The second match we saw was the wonderful Samantha Stosur against Kristina Barrois. It was a great match also, some wonderfuly hitting from Sammi, particularly volleys, and she ended up winning 7-5, 6-3.

The biggest match that was most anticipated for the day sessions was of course the one where Lleyton Hewitt versed Donald Young. Injury prone Hewitt lead to win the match in the end, but did struggle in the first set, needing to win a tie-breaker to secure the set. Donald played really well as well though, great hitting from him, particularly from the back of the court, and some of the rallies they had were sooooo long, but awesome!! The crowd was so cool as well, we had the mexican waves going, chants etc.... Hewitt won 7-6 (7-3), 6-4, 6-1.

We aslo managed to see the end of Serena Williams match. It was fantastic seeing her play.

For Friday, it was quite uncomfortable in the heat, it reached to 37 degrees I think outside, and was quite warmer inside Rod Laver. The roof was half closed at the beginning of the day when it was coolest, then fully open in the late arvo when it was the hottest, but sure what was going on there, but anyway, a great day of tennis nevertheless.

We started off seeing Safina win her match. It was quite quick, finished in I think about an hour.

My fav for probably the whole 2-days was Andy Roddick verses Feliciano Lopez. It was an epic match, and the chair umpire had the coolest voice, but was quite strict. This match was also 4-sets, and both players were struggling at times. Roddick was more-so hitting more un-forced errors in the first 2 sets, then Feliciano Lopez started struggling at the end, but stayed fighting for the entire match. There were many challenges, and Roddick threw his racquet at the ground twice and had a couple of arguments with the chair umpire. Feliciano Lopez received a time violation for taking to long to serve. It was a good match, Roddick winning in the end, 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-4, 7-6 (7-3).

The final match we saw was Juan Martin Del Potro versus Florian Mayer. It was not as exciting to begin with coming straight after Roddick's, but it turned out to be awesome! A great match, another 4-setter, and Juan Martin Del looked as if he was going to lose for a while; but he won 6-3, 0-6, 6-4, 7-5.

It was great for the time I was there, and really want to do it again next year! We are considering becoming official members next year of the Open as well! I highly recommend the tournament. :D :D :D
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

I know other's strongly disagree but personally I seriously don't like Lleyton Hewitt.

His on court antics are unsportsmanlike, he is arrogant beyond belief and is a bit of an embarrassment to the country IMHO. He is almost in complete contrast to the type of person Rafter was both on and off court.

Stosur on the other hand is fantastic for Australian tennis and I seriously hope she can put Serena Williams back in her box big time. There's a top ten on the cards for Stosur if she can get over Williams and continue to progress through the finals.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

No disagreement from me Andrew, i seriously cant stand Lleyton Hewitt. Just his antics, mannerisms, has sook written all over him.

avweatherforecasts.com
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

I met Hewitt a while ago, He was very nice and stopped to have a chat, i was surprised. Also i met Sam Stosurs's dad up on the Gold Coast 2 years ago, He is a saints supporter:)
fortius quo fidelius
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Sounds like you had an awesome time Jake and saw lots of great matches.

I used to do Pat Rafter and Lleyton Hewitt's websites and forums from 1998 to a few years back. I also went to most of the Davis Cups in that period, both here and overseas. Also went to heaps of the Davis Cup player parties and in 2001 I went to Wimbledon to see Pat play for the last time there. I decided to do it the fan way and camped and queued on the footpath at Wimbledon for just about two weeks. I was in the front row for every one of Pat's matches except for the semi final when Peter, Pat's brother, got us tickets in the players stand. Pat gave me his Wimbledon towel which is one of many mementos I treasure from when he played. I got to know Pat and his family quite well. They are the nicest, down to earth people I have ever met and they treat me like family. Lleyton and his parents are completely different. His parents Cherilynn and Glynn were polite and helped me with info for Lleyton's site but Lleyton couldn't really be bothered.

My son nearly died when he was 18 and Pat, who had had shoulder surgery, took the time to ring Luke up when he came out of hospital. A few years later Pat met Luke at a DC players party and he was so pleased to meet him and exclaimed "Luke! I finally get to meet you" Yep Pat is a legend! Can't wait to see Pat play again when I go on Wednesday. I never got the chance last year as it was too hot but a couple of years before that he was commentating for Fox so I went in to see him.

Looking forward to seeing more great matches at the Aus Open :mexicanwave: