Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

The Australian Open Tennis Tournament 2010

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: The Australian Open Tennis Tournament 2010

Post by Blackee »

I know I am stating the bleeding obvious, but jeez Federer is a champion.
He is making our Lleyton look 4th rate.
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

A fantastic hard fought battle last night, Andy Roddick (my second fav) against Gonzalez!! (Mind the spelling). A great match that saw 2 racquets smashed by Gonzalez. And what a match today, a 5-setter between Nikolay Davydenko(RUS) and Fernando Verdasco(ESP), Nikolay winning ... 6-2 7-5 4-6 6-7(5) 6-3.

I feel sorry for Sammi Stosure, she is quite the talent, but Serina is just too good. And Lleyton is out of here, losing to my fav player Roger Federer in straight sets.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I refuse to watch the Williams Sisters on the basis of what they are wearing. Horrendous!!!!

The talk will begin for Lleyton to retire. Watch the media pounce!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Just got home from seeing the magician in action..my god that man is a freak. When you are there, it is more apparent than on the tv. Completely obliterated him, even when he was broken in the 3rd it was only because of a couple of errors. I cant believe how short he puts the ball!!!! He is a freak. Im so rapt i was there, first to see my hero go through, and second to see Hewitt loose!! Double Whammy!!
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

TSONGA TSONGA TSONGA!!! Unbelievable
fortius quo fidelius
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Yeah, he just decides which points he wants to win and sets aside a certain number of points he can afford to lose to give himself a break.

You could see how hard Hewitt was trying, he was putting everything into it, busting his gut every point to try and win it and Federer was just standing on the other side of the court, he could have been reading a book and making himself toast and it wouldn't have made any difference, he just stands and delivers with a minimum of effort it's just incredible. The way he makes winners from all parts of the court at every angle in every situation, and the ease with which he gets to balls that most other players would be struggling to chase, his footwork is ridiculous. And the quality of his groundstrokes, the fact he can just hit winners out of nowhere because his ground strokes are so technically brilliant.

I hardly saw Federer get a first serve in whilst I was watching which shows just how dominant he was.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Finally got to the tennis yesterday. We watched Andy Murray on the big screen and just before his match ended we made our way up to Rod Laver arena where we scored tickets to go in to see the Legends exhibition. Pat Rafter/Henri Leconte vs Pat Cash/Wayne Arthurs. It was awesome and glad they showed it on TV as well. The tickets for the night match were $170 each so happy to get in for free. Pat told me how to do this back in 1999 ;) Because tennis went till after midnight my friend missed her train so I had to do a detour via Werribee to Ferny Creek in the hills. Took 2 hours and got home at 2.45am this morning lol

Sad to see the tennis season coming to an end here but there have been some great matches. I reckon Tsonga has provided some of the best ones
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

My fav player has been toweled up. Oh well Fed is just amazing. Tsonga will win a major, i just know it
fortius quo fidelius
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

And well done to Roger Federer and Serena Williams who played fantastic matches throughout the tournament and secured final wins!! :)
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Federer just reminded us (again) just how hard it is to beat him.
He got a dream draw, not having to play Rafa or Novak.
I thought Davydenko was a danger and he did take a set off him.

Federer, asusual, was very sportsmanlike in victory, offering Murray plenty of good wishes and tipped him to a winner of a major tournament soon.
I think the only way Andy Murray can win is when Fed is out or has retired. Fed seems to have his measure in the big games.

Congrats also to Serena Williams. Not a huge fan of womens tennis, but I admired to tenecity and ability to respond to losing the second set. Some massive service games in the deciding set overwhelmed Henin.

Record crowds, great weather, proposed upgrade to the precint, the future of the Australian Open has never been healthier!! :thumbsup:
Mansfield 370m and Elwood