Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Petrol heads - All things Motor Racing

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Petrol heads - All things Motor Racing

Post by Blackee »

The motor racing season is starting to crack up with the opening round of the Formula 1's this weekend.
Whether you are a Schumacher fan or not, it will be interesting how he goes this season!!

This is the place to talk motor sport, from the awesome V8's to admiring The Doctor in MotoGP. Rev your engines here!!
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Petrol heads - All things Motor Racing

Post by Anthony Violi »

I used to love the V8s...and once Marcos Ambrose went to Nascar, thats what i watch. Never miss a race. Being on at 4am Monday mornings usually i need to record them. Fair to say my iphone is flat by 10am Mondays at work if i dont have an RDO.

Obviously was a ford fan, but i only just see glimpses of the V8s every now and then without following them. And i have no interest in formula one.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Motor racing is something that just doesn't interest me at all.

Number one, it is not a level 'playing field' so to speak. The higher profile drivers with the best cars made by the companies with the most money always make up the placings. Once an order is established in the first few laps there are few changes in the top half of the field and you are simply just watching cars go around a circuit. If you are there in person all you can see is a blur of colours come past and then you see them round a few chicanes and then see some glimpses of the cars at the far end of the track and that is it (unless you have a seat in the grandstands). I'm sure some forms of motorsport are more exciting than others. I'd guess that F1 is actually the least exciting and that V8s, moto racing etc. is the most exciting.

Just thought I've give my opinion. I guess you have to be a car enthusiast to really 'get it'.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

I am not a huge petrol head Andrew, but I enjoy the TV coverage of Motor Racing. I used to go to Albert Park to watch the GP, but I find it better to watch from home. Sure you don't get the same experience, but you get to see a hell of a lot more for a fraction of the price.

Now to do some Motor Racing housekeeping:
* Well done to Will Power, who won the first race of the Indy Car series :thumbsup:
* Jamie Whincup' stranglehold of the 2010 V8 Supercar series was slightly loosened with Garth Tander winning the Clipsal round @ Adelaide. Love that street circuit!!
* Fernando Alonso wins the opening F1 race in Bahrain. Great to see Filippe Massa return from a horrific incident last year to finish 2nd. A 1-2 result for the prancing horse!! Schumacher returned with a 6th, whilst Mark Webber came in 8th. Next round is at Albert Park in 2 weeks.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

All things Motor Racing - love it! I'm a huge petrol head, have been since the 60s. Back in those days I'd go out to Oran Park and Amaroo in Sydney. Agree with you Wes, I would much prefer to watch from home these days. When the GP first came to Melbourne I went for the 4 days and when the race was won had to ring my husband to see who the winner was lol as couldn't see. Damon Hill beat his team mate Jacques Villeneuve who I had followed from Indy racing when he won the Indy 500 in his rookie year coming from two laps down, amazing. Was at Phillip Island two years in a row to see Wayne Gardener win then Mick Doohan the next year.

Congrats to all the winners on the weekend and yes, it was great to see Massa back. I'll never forget the day Ayrton Senna died in an accident and it didn't even look that bad so you just never know.

Roll on Melbourne GP :)
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Lets hope Webber can improve on last year, had his best season, was it 2 wins?
Also i cant wait till the Moto GP starts back up, I do think Stoner is the best rider in the group and if it wasnt for the illness he would of won alot more races
fortius quo fidelius
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

I've been into Motor Racing ever since I can remember (mostly because of the Bathurst 1000 when everyone got together in the 80's for a big BBQ), been to the GP's and V8 Supercar Rd's many times and various other events. Also love watching Supercross mostly back in the U.S. but it has gotten a lot better here now with Chad Reeds SX series, have a signed replica of Jeremy McGrath's jersey from his last Championship winning year of 2000. Looking forward to Moto GP again this year to.

I watched both the Adelaide V8 Supercar races and F1 GP

The V8 Supercar race at Adelaide was pretty good, lots of action and passing up front, one of the better V8 Rd's I've seen for awhile now.

On the other hand the Bahrain F1 GP was a absolute joke, one of the most boring GP's I've ever watched. The track and race strategies were just boring, I do not like this no refueling rule as the cars are a lot slower and no one will push to the limit like they would in past years with more pit stops with less fuel on board and not having to worry about the tires not lasting the race. I really hope Melb GP is better as that was one of the worst races in years especially considering how good last year was with many drivers and teams winning/passing each other. I thought Schumacher did pretty good for his first race back in 3+ years and considering his age compared to all the other drivers, he will get faster with more races.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Dc449 wrote: I do think Stoner is the best rider in the group and if it wasnt for the illness he would of won alot more races
Huge call there Dc!!!
As much I respect Stoner, you cant go past Rossi. World champion in all classes and succeeding with different manufacturers. The guys is a genius, and Stoners ability to beat him on numberous occassions just shows how great Stoner is.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

I didn't know you raced a Porsche 911 Lily, when are you going to take us for a storm chase in this hehe

The guys second name is actually Lilley, but edited it slightly. Have some photos of him driving the Viper as well.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Ohhhhhhh, that's my other car, dahlink!

LMAO :rotfl:
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Well the Australian GP was action all the way today helped along by some rain. Congrats to Jenson Button and commiserations to Mark Webber.

The placings
1st - Jenson Button
2nd - Robert Kubica
3rd - Felipe Massa

All the action, video and pics here at The Age
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/australi ... utostart=1
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Casey stoner was coming first then about 5 laps in he crashed out :o :x
fortius quo fidelius
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Unlucky for Stoner, but he did say he pushed his beast too hard!!
Rossi gets first blood, Casey will not want the Doctor to get too far ahead.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Towering Updraft wrote:Webber has snapped up pole for the Monaco Grand Prix...3rd poll of the season, and second consecutive. Race is tomorrow evening at a reasonable hour for a change.
And Webber salutes @ Monaco.
He now leads the drivers championship. He must now be considered a huge chance to become Australia' first World Champion since Alan Jones in 1980.

All we need now, is for Webber to become friendly with the Australian media again!!
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Stoner crashed out again, this time at LeMans.
An intriguing race with Rossi starting well, but couldn't hold off Jorge Lorenzo, who has a real weapon under him this year. Dani Pedrosa was 3rd into the final lap, but finished 5th after being overtaken by Dovidsioso and Hayden.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Yeah was great to see Webber win
BTW Stoner crashed out again, was starting from 4th, i should take back what i said earlier about him being the best driver, he isint having the greatest year.
fortius quo fidelius
g
gman99
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by gman99 »

While no aussie racing in this series, there was a nasty crash in Lamborghini Super Trofeo at Brno, in the Czech Republic last weekend

Warning...The videos are quite graphic

and another view

The driver, Giorgio Bartocci, did survive the crash. He suffered broken ribs and a broken leg and has 2nd degree burns on 40% of his body.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

My goodness that really is a shocker - you wonder why they just didn't see him hanging out there for so long. :o
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

What in the hell was Sebastian Vettel thinking?? :x
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Sniper wrote:What in the hell was Sebastian Vettel thinking?? :x
He wasn't, did you see him after getting out of the car with the hand signal to his head lol