Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Picking the seam - All things Cricket

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Picking the seam - 2009/10 Cricket Season

Post by Dc449 »

Yeah im still interested, A bit of cricket coming up with the IPL and 20/20 in the next couple of months.
fortius quo fidelius
o
ozzie
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ozzie »

can anyone explain to me what is wrong with the WACA, i mean letting Chris Rogers go is not acceptable...now WA has hopeless openers :o As for Aus vs NZ ODI series, i am dissapointed with the Aussie batsman...Clarke needs to go and Hughes needs to be in :P
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Clarke has quit the NZ tour and is coming home due to personal reasons??

This guy wants to be Test Captain???
fortius quo fidelius
o
ozzie
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ozzie »

Dc449 wrote:Clarke has quit the NZ tour and is coming home due to personal reasons??

This guy wants to be Test Captain???
Good, I'm glad he quit the tour, he is the worst Aussie batsman and is so slow, Watson should be the next captain :D
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Apparently he has come home to be by Lara Bingle because of the nude photo furore.I think since he has been going with her his cricket has really suffered.Anyway Australia has won the 3rd one day by 6 wickets
o
ozzie
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ozzie »

Clarke should never be captain in any form of cricket, it seems so hard to get out of the Aussie side, almost harder to get out of then to get in :D David Hussey is so much better then Clarke and yet he is not in the one day or test side :?
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Towering Updraft wrote:Watson is a hopeless case...throws away his wicket...chokes at pressure moments. If not for having a decent run after being given so many damn opportunities he would be back to shield. Very ordinary bloke to meet, and a very ordinary cricketer. His conversion rate from 50's to 100s is unacceptable for an opener....his bowling is paltry medium pace at best...and he doesnt know when to keep his mouth shut.
I really hope you are joking, he was our player of the summer in all forms. To say he chokes and a very ordinary cricketer is barbaric, but okay ;)
fortius quo fidelius
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Apologies to our WA friends, but how the hell does Marcus North keep his spot????
His Shield form has continued to be woeful, yet still gets a guernsey for the NZ tour.
Obviously has photos of Hilditch in compromising positions :P
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

I actually believe Phillip Hughes should not have been dropped, i mean after 1 test cmon. But watson has shown he is capable, i just hope he has the same form for the ashes.

I would love to see Brett Lee play test cricket again, not going to happen anymore of course but i would of love to see him come back.

We all know you have to be on the selectors good side to make the team. Brad Hodge one example!
BTW i would try Cameron White for North's position
fortius quo fidelius
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Some people equate arrogance and ego with being an ordinary player. There is no correlation between the two. If you are a really good player you deserve to be a bit arrogant IMHO. Shane Watson has been fantastic since the ODI series in England at least and has continued his form to now. He takes crucial wickets and has the ability to break partnerships, his batting is powerful and a pleasure to watch, he may not go on with innings as much as he should but he seems to get to around 50 a lot of the time and that is a lot better than someone like Marcus North or Phil Hughes who after brilliant starts to their careers are lucky now to last about 10 balls. :roll:

I don't see how Michael Clarke has been so terrible. That fantastic century he made in one of the ashes tests (I forget exactly which one), and plenty of excellent innings since. Just about the only guy in the side who plays spin bowling well which is very handy. The problem is that people expect him to be Don Bradman or Brian Lara all the time, standards are set enormously high for him, so having an excellent test average, an excellent fielder and an excellent leader (when Lara Bingle isn't stuffing things up) is not enough, he has to be one of the greats of the game. A lot of people hate him purely for his relationship with Bingle. :roll:

I don't see what all this moral high ground that people seem to take against the 'arrogance' of the Australian team is all about. You call it arrogance I call it confidence and a winning attitude. Generally players who don't have an arrogance about them are mentally weak and let their opponents and the crowd walk all over them. One of the major reasons Australia is so successful, in not just cricket but sport in general, is thanks to this supreme self confidence and mental strength and passion.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Droughtbreaker, i wouldn't think that Phil Hughes is lucky to last 10 balls, He hasn't really had much chance bar the first Ashes test and the Sydney test. North will want to get things going in this series or else he will find himself on the sidelines and may never make it back.
fortius quo fidelius
o
ozzie
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ozzie »

Sniper wrote:Apologies to our WA friends, but how the hell does Marcus North keep his spot????
His Shield form has continued to be woeful, yet still gets a guernsey for the NZ tour.
Obviously has photos of Hilditch in compromising positions :P
Because its harder to get out of the Aussie side then it is to get into it ;) I think he should be dropped...but Clarke should be the first to go...
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Ill pick my side assuming Clarke isint playing!

Watson
Katich
Ponting (c)
Hussey
North
Haddin (w)
Smith
Johnson
Hauritz
Harris
Bollinger
fortius quo fidelius
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

I really dont like having Smith in there ATM, but looking at the squad it is either him or another pace bowler
fortius quo fidelius
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

My ideal 12 would be:

1. Watson
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. M.Hussey
6. D.Hussey :thumbsup:
7. Haddin
8. Hauritz
9. Johnson
10. Harris
11. Bollinger
12. Smith
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

I would love to see Hughes in the lineup, but i dont think the selectors would move Watson down the order yet, but of course i could be wrong. I would be fine if they moved him down and brought in Hughes.
fortius quo fidelius
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Man, hasn't the BEAR, Cam White stood up this summer!
Awesome display of hitting. Looks really comfortable with himself.
GO BEAR!!!
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

John, I think is due to the fact that the Aussies have 10 wickets to lose in a reduced number of overs, thus grossing up the runs required.
I think D/L method helps teams chasing more than defending. Fielding teams have to deal with change in overs for bowlers and well as greasy ball and outfield.

As you mentioned, another trophy in the cabinet. Nice finishing again by Mr Cricket & Bear.
o
ozzie
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ozzie »

I agree that White should be in the test side, and can't believe hughes, hodge and david hussey arent been give a fair go :| and what about Chris Rogers? it seems they have something against him...
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Chasing 105 to win, WA are 3/1.

3rd Over
Over 2.1: Swan to North, no run, OUT, gone for a golden duck as well!! Prods forward at a ball outside off stump, went hard to defend and gets an edge straight to Hartley!! Swan on a hat-trick, WA 3/1!!

North has no right to be hopping onto a plane to NZ. Hopelessly out of form.
Will end rant now, before I get banned!!