Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Movie Reviews

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Movie Reviews

Post by Rivergirl »

Movie: Avatar 3D
Director: James Cameron (Aliens, Terminator 1 & 2, The Abyss, Titanic)
Time: 162 mins
Rating: ****
Genre: Fantasy/Sci Fi
Cast: Sam Worthington (Terminator), Sigourney Weaver (Aliens), Zoe Saldana, Michelle Rodriguez (Lost)

Plot: A paraplegic marine dispatched to the planet Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.

I saw Avatar tonight and absolutely loved it except for the closing credits song performed by Leona Lewis. It was so reminiscent of Celine Dion's "My heart will go on" which was the main song in James Cameron's Titanic that I just thought it was a corny touch and spoilt it (no detriment to Leona Lewis). Anyway it was awesome in 3D! I saw this review online so thought it summed it up better than I could. Read on .......
Author: Jedi Ghost from Hungary
I was lucky to see Avatar at a pre-screening a few hours ago. It completely blew me and the whole room away and i dare to say it will do so to 80% of any audience anywhere. The remaining 20%, who always finds something to complain about, will whine about character development, dialog, story or the pop-corn.

Well, let me tell you: they went to this movie with the wrong expectations. So WHAT should you expect from Avatar??? MORE of the same!!! More of revolutionary film-making, more of grandiose new ideas, more of never-before-seen special effects, more of 150 minutes without relapsing, more of the James Cameron genius...

I am very happy that the trailers didn't give the full story away. Lots of emotions are waiting for the viewer, laughter and tears also. Cameron was very smart keeping the teasers as teasers, nothing more... as the full movie will take your breath away.

You will practically not notice that you are watching a non-existing world, it is sooo real. Attention to detail is superb. You computer geeks will know what I am talking about. This move was not rushed in the making. No wonder it could not have been done before - not having the proper computing power.

The wild life, the jungle, the animals, the Na'vi-s, or the dragon-like flying creatures are all so life-like, they almost pop-off the screen (and in 3D they actually do :) .

The sound effects were so well done, that when I saw at the credits that Skywalker Sound was behind it, i could only think of "yessss... now THAT makes sense." Cameron is a visionaire - and again, he delivers, with full blast.

A certain character says in the movie that Pandora (the planet where the story takes place) became his real world. My advice to you: let Pandora become YOUR real world for two and a half hours, let it make you completely forget about your life and problems, let it entertain you, move you, let it carry you away.

Because THAT is what i expect as an exchange for my ticket. And a few hours ago i got tens of tickets worth of that.
:applause:
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Movie Reviews

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Excellent Robyn.

This is high on my list. All my friends are raving about it!! I need to get a Gold Class seat and I am there!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Karl, I think the only problem with seeing it in Gold Class is that they may not have the 3D screen. You have to see this in 3D!!! Check before you buy and enjoy. I'm going back again for sure. Two and half hours in another fantastical world :)
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

I will just drop a quick line in here!

Went and saw 2012 this afternoon ... even after reading Karl's reports of it ... :lol:

I thought it wasn't that bad, the effects are amazing but some of the things that the people could do were a bit un-realistic IMO.

Overall, I would prob give it 4/5 stars.

Next on my list is AVATAR!!! :thumbsup:
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

A mate of mine saw Avatar yesterday. Said it was absolutely brilliant!!
Will wait for 2012 on Blu-Ray!!
The Mrs is currently in bed watching Twilight, thus is why I am posting like a maniac tonight!!! :tornado:
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Haha... Twilight ... :hissy: I would do the same mate! Had to sit through that with one of my friends, regreted every moment of it!
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Avatar is the latest film from writer/director James Cameron since his monstrous 1997 hit Titanic and concerns an ex-marine named Jake Sully played by Sam Worthington who is wanting an expensive operation to fix his legs but to get that he have to undertake a special mission on the jungle world of Pandora, full of wonder and danger.

Cameron’s absence has left a gaping hole in action cinema but with this he makes a heroic return, losing none of his magic touch from the days when he made such action powerhouses like Aliens and his two Terminator films, as well as those two films he also brings over the love story of Titanic and the mystery of the Abyss, the on screen action here is simply outstanding, expertly edited and showing us every move each side makes, as well as every act both heroic and otherwise, current action directors would do well to study this film to learn how to properly edit action scenes.

But like all of the other great Cameron films, there is a real beating heart in the form of the native Na’vi, who are one with the land and can see into a person’s heart, on top of that everyone of the major actors brings us their A game and the pacing is near perfect, despite a somewhat choppy beginning.

I can’t recommend this movie enough, to both Sci-Fi and Action film fans but also people who like good movies in general, finally 2009 delivers a film on peak form just as it looked it would wither and die, so this gets a full 5 out of 5, well done Jim and welcome back, you’ve been sorely sorely missed.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Well, I never seem to get to the movies these days (unless it's with the kids, our last trip was to Hannah fricken Montannah :roll: :lol: ), but I just have to butt in here and say Twilight sucks but True Blood rocks :hangloose:

(And thank you to admin for our funky new smileys :santa: )
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I agree with DE on this one. Avatar was by far one of the greatest movies I have ever seen in my short little life. I have never been so engrossed in a movie, people were screaming at the point when the army comes in and does it thing. Not giving too much away - it provokes a great natural respnse.

A full ***** rating!!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

I obviously really need to see this movie!! I had my chance to see it on the weekend with friends whilst in Melbourne, but they wanted to see Sherlock Holmes, not sure why, it was one of those really strange choices friends seem to make, and you just go along with it... lol...

So anyway, Sherlock Holmes was better than I thought it would be. Very action packed, but still making you think you were back in the day, whenever that was set! Also, if you love crime shows that make you think who did it, this is the movie to see as well, still kind of feels like the older Sherlock Holmes films, but better suited for the current-day audience, and using the effects of todays world too!!! Overall, probably a **** [4/5] rating from me. It was quite funny though, we went to the Directors suite at Hoytes, and instead of a small popcorn for me which I ordered, they gave me the Jumbo, cause they ran out of small popcorn containers, and it was really, really big, I could only eat a quarter of it!!!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

:lol: at the popcorn Jake.

I saw Sherlock Holmes on the weekend and loved it! I was doing a Sherlock Holmes in the kitchen with my son Luke tonight. I told him that when we came back from Tassie last week after 6 nights away I summised that on 4 nights he had a pie or fish for dinner and on 2 nights he had take away pizza. He was impressed and he has a Criminologist degree lol. I told him I knew because he used 4 tin trays that were in the dishwasher and I know he cooks pies or fish on them and the other 2 nights because pizza is his favourite 8-)

Thanks Lily re the smilies :brightbanana: Next up Invictus!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I must say I cannot wait for Invictus!!! It looks amazing. I love Clint Eastwood's directing. Everything he does has been genious!!!
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Clint's a bit hit and miss with me, don't know if I'll see Invictus.

But Avatar has actually surpassed Titanic at the local box office with $63 million the current tally, Titanic's was $57 million, unbelievable.
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

Avatar, I walked in and when I walked out I could not believe 3 hours had gone by. I felt like I was part of the movie. I'm not going to rate it though, it's too hard. It was an amazing experience and I loved it. The extreme Screen's @ Melb Central in 3D are perfect. :o
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

Any Donnie Darko fans out there?

Well Richard Kelly who wrote and directed it put out a new movie called The Box, late last year. I love bizarre movies and this is right up there. It's a great story, that's kept at a steady pace with a macabre feel to it. It's set in the 70's and the attention to detail all the way from costume right down to the look of the film is absolutely outstanding. Plot, acting, everything really, is superb. It's not a horror, but not quite a thriller, it's more sci-fi I suppose is the best way to describe it. I give it 4 and a half Margaret. ;) If you missed it at the movies see if it's out on DVD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362478/
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Yes have seen Donny Darko tizza and The Box was on our list to see as we rather liked the storyline but my husband was in Thailand a few weeks and when he came back it had gone. Didn't stay too long at the movies unfortunately. Will definitely be watching for it on DVD :)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

In the last week I have seen

The Wolfman
102 mins
Starring: Benecio del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Hugo Weaving, Emily Blunt
Synopsis: A remake of the 1941 movie, The Wolf Man, about a man that turns into a werewolf on the full moon, of course :)

Well acted by all. I mean Anthony Hopkins and Hugo Weaving are good value. Have loved Benecio del Toro since his "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' days.
The sets and effects gave the appropriate mystery and darkness to the movie.

and

Daybreakers
98 mins
Starring: Ethan Hawke, Sam Neill, Claudia Karvan, Vince Colisimo, Isabel Lucas
Synopsis: "Daybreakers is about a plague that has transformed most every human into vampires. Faced with a dwindling blood supply, the fractured dominant race plots their survival; meanwhile, a researcher works with a covert band of vamps on a way to save humankind...."

Again the actors did a good job and as yet another vampire movie it entertained. It was so strange to see Sam Neill with vampire eyes and Vince :o
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

The Blind Side

Cast: Sandra Bullock, Tim McGraw and Kathy Bates
Time: 120 minutes
Genre: Drama
Rating: ****

Can I just say this movie was a fantastic piece of art. Sandra Bullock who plays Leigh Anne Touhy, a no nonsense well off mother of 2 who knows not much else outside of her life which includes lavish lunches and manicures. In this amazing true story of a young derelict boy, Michael Ohrr (Quinton Aaron), who is literally left to out on his own to figure out life for himself on the streets of Memphis, his life is somewhat devoid of love and affection. In a chance meeting at a basketball game, Leigh Anne and Michaels lives intersect with life long concequences.

Leigh Anne with compassion takes Michael in out of the cold Memphis air, and in a sequence of events, develops a bond to Michael that goes beyond a friendship. It develops into a maternal love that runs deeps and causes her to look beyond her own well manicured boundaries, to offer a hand of support to someone from a lower demographic. In response to these changes, Michael finds his life, passion and eventually his dreams. But the most amazing part of this story is how the chance meeting has changed both Leigh Anne and Michael Ohrr for the better.

Without giving away the obvious plot that is a brief synopsis.

My overall feelings about the movie is that it is a classic warm fuzzy, lots of tissues needed for those who cannot control themselves with the level of schmaltzyness, that would include me. It is a good night out with the partner and a good brownie point scorer for the men!!! A good afternoon DVD as well so no harm if you miss it at the flicks.

I encourage you to go along and see it. It does not dissapoint.
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland is based on the Lewis Carroll novels but this time around has been adapted by director Tim Burton and screenwriter Linda Woolverton, the story this time is that Alice played by Mia Wasikowska is now 19 and engaged to be married, but while she's walking around the gardens she spots a white rabbit in a great hurry and as a result, stumbles down to a place she can't quite remember.

While there are parts of this film I enjoyed, mainly the performances by Wasikowska, Stephen Fry and Alan Rickman, the film as a whole has no idea what to do with itself, best seen as the uncertainty around Alice herself and whether she is indeed the same one that came to their land as a young girl, on top of that it is also hard to understand what everyone is saying as most of their lines feel like they're on fast forward, the Wonderland characters aren't that interesting and the visual look of the film just made me think of Pandora from Avatar, but it's also nowhere as magical as that world.

Alice is an okay film and one that I didn't mind somewhat but one that is unsure of itself and hard to gain any emotional interest in, so it gets a 2 out of 5.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Looks like many critics and people that I know who have seen the film DE, are in agreeance with you. Perhaps one for DVD? Or are the 3D effects worth it??