Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Movie Reviews

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Movie Reviews

Post by DarkEye »

Just so you guys know, James Cameron's Avatar is coming back to theatres starting tomorrow with about 10 minutes of new footage, and yes it's in 3D.
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

A movie I was eager to see but well the review speaks for itself:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is the latest film from director Edgar Wright and based on a graphic novel, the story here is that Scott Pilgrim played by Michael Cera is infatuated with a girl named Ramona Flowers played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead, but for them to be happy together he'll have to do battle with Ramona's seven evil exes.

As long time readers of my blog will know, Wright's 2007 film Hot Fuzz warmed it's way into my heart as a real favourite and as such, was eager to see what he'd have up his sleeve next, the early previews for this made me laugh but was it going to translate into a worthy successor to the Fuzz.

Sadly, not this time around for one crucial reason: Cera himself, quite frankly there is no real reason you come to care about him as most of the time he either gets the living daylights beaten out of him or he's whining about his own ex girlfriends, he doesn't quite get it that he has to fight in order to win Ramona despite everyone trying to get it through to him, contrast that with Nicholas Angel's arc in Fuzz, he was the top cop who grew into his role as a country lawman and his journey was worth following, here that doesn't happen.

There was some good stuff though, first off the battle scenes were expertly staged and edited, the 8 bit Universal logo is a hoot and Winstead, Brandon Routh and Kieran Culkin make the best of what they have, Routh in particular steals the show with his fast talking dialogue and powers that make him strong with the force.

But in the end, it added up to nothing, as Cera was a dead weight, normally if it's a side role that can be forgiven but this is your main man, there can be no excuses for this plus I couldn't help but feel that Edgar was out of his comfort zone here, hopefully Simon Pegg will be his co-writer again and the magic of Hot Fuzz will be back, as for this well it's a big disappointment overall, 1 and a half out of 5.
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Tomorrow when the War Began

Tomorrow when the War Began is based off a series of novels written by John Marsden, the story here is that a group of young teenagers go off for a weekend camping in a secluded country spot, but when they return they find all their loved ones missing and a maelstrom of decay, where ordinary kids can become battered and smashed.

To be honest, I walked into this movie expecting nothing at all, as having seen the previews for this when watching Iron Man 2 earlier in the year, it reminded me of Mad Max and as long time readers will know, I am a massive fan of the first two movies in that series.

But did my expectations get surpassed or not, well they did but not by anything special as this movie felt very by the numbers, I mean don't get me wrong the young actors are solid and I enjoyed myself but all I thought when I walked out was that it was okay, but nothing special.

So all in all, don't have high expectations and you might enjoy yourself, a 2 out of 5.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Unstoppable

I was able to see Unstoppable last night. Throughout the entire movie, I was simply awaiting to see the next moment with so much anticipation. There were many tense moments and generally potrayed what literally can and does happen. In-fact unstoppable is based on a true story. For people not in the know, Unstoppable is a train movie, where a freight train is 'unstoppable'. I don't want to ruin anything, but in my opinion, a must see. 9/10 But I love trains, so I probably over-rated it. :P
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Saw Unstoppable a week or two ago. Pretty entertaining movie, but the constant cuts to news footage ruined it a bit for me. Gave it too much of a overblown Hollywood feel for my liking. 7/10

Few I've seen recently (can't be bothered writing up reviews, but I'll give some ratings)...

127 Hours - Incredible true story. Hope it gets an Oscar nod or two, but it has some stiff competition, especially for best picture. 8.5/10
Faster - Good action revenge flick, stars The Rock. 7/10
Gran Torino - Was never really a Clint Eastwood fan, but I have a new respect for him. One hell of a director (Check out Changeling too that he also directed, another masterpiece). 9/10
Inception - I'm a sucker for a good "twist" movie - 8/10
Devil - Another one with a good "twist". Although I was on to it pretty early - 8/10
Buried - Yet another twist flick. I think this one may have been slightly overrated by some. But still a great effort to pull off a movie with essential one on screen actor. 7.5/10
Due Date - Weird sense of humour in this comedy. A bit of a let down. 5/10
The Joneses - Interesting concept (check the trailer for idea of what it's about) and done pretty well. 7/10
The Social Network - I think most of "the internet generation" will enjoy this one. 8/10

I watch a lot of movies :|
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Meso!! That makes my afternoon of viewing much more streamlined!! Will be looking into some of these today.

Also want to go and see Conviction!! Hillary Swank always seem to do such a great job in films like this...anyone seen it!!?
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

We saw The Adjustment Bureau on Saturday night. It was based on a book by Philip K Dick a science fiction writer from the 50s and 60s. The most memorable movie taken from a book by Philip K Dick entitled "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep" was called Total Recall with Arnie.

Movie: The Adjustment Bureau
Director: George Nolfi
Writers: George Nolfi (screenplay), Philip K. Dick (short story "Adjustment Team")
Time: 106 mins
Rating: ****
Genre: Romance/Sci Fi/Thriller
Cast: Stars: Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Lisa Thoreson and Terence Stamp

Storyline
Do we control our destiny, or do unseen forces manipulate us? Matt Damon stars in the thriller The Adjustment Bureau as a man who glimpses the future Fate has planned for him and realizes he wants something else. To get it, he must pursue the only woman he's ever loved across, under and through the streets of modern-day New York. On the brink of winning a seat in the U.S. Senate, ambitious politician David Norris (Damon) meets beautiful contemporary ballet dancer Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt)-a woman like none he's ever known. But just as he realizes he's falling for her, mysterious men conspire to keep the two apart. David learns he is up against the agents of Fate itself-the men of The Adjustment Bureau-who will do everything in their considerable power to prevent David and Elise from being together. In the face of overwhelming odds, he must either let her go and accept a predetermined path... Written by Universal Pictures

Went with my husband who is a huge Philip K Dick fan and we loved the movie. It really makes you think as I'm sure most of us realise that life is full of decisions and some of those decisions can change the course of your whole life.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Thanks for the review Robyn. I wasn't too sure on this one but reading your review has changed my mind!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Karl Lijnders » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:29 am wrote:
Karl Lijnders wrote:Meso!! That makes my afternoon of viewing much more streamlined!! Will be looking into some of these today.
How'd you go, Karl? Get a chance to watch any?

Watched "Life as we Know it" the other night. Thought I'd let the missus watch a rom com for once...was pleasantly surprised, although 90 mins of Katherine Heigl helped :P 6.5/10

Oh and "Dinner for Schmucks"...which left me feeling a little indifferent. Got a few chuckles out of it, but it tried a little too hard...will probably fade from the memory pretty quickly. 5.5/10

Black Swan is next on the list. Don't think I've ever read and heard such polar opposites in terms of opinions on this movie, so I'm interested to see what it throws up. Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman guarantee's it at least a 6 :P
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Went to the movies with my husband on Saturday night to see Limitless but as we were standing in line saw there were tickets available for Sucker Punch in Gold Class so we decided to see that. We were both interested in this movie mainly for the reason that Zack Snyder directed it and he had also directed Watchmen and 300. We love his style and the feel and camera angles he does.

Movie: Sucker Punch
Director: Zack Snyder
Writers: Zack Snyder, Steve Shibuya
Time: 110 minutes
Rating: ***
Genre: Action/Adventure/Fantasy/Thriller
Cast: Emily Browning, Abbie Cornish, Vanessa Hudgins, Osca Isaac, Jamie Chung

Storyline
A young girl (Baby Doll) is locked away in a mental asylum by her abusive stepfather where she will undergo a lobotomy in five days time. Faced with unimaginable odds, she retreats to a fantastical world in her imagination where she and four other female inmates at the asylum, plot to escape the facility. The lines between reality and fantasy blur as Baby Doll and her four companions, as well as a mysterious guide, fight to retrieve the five items they need that will allow them to break free from their captors before it's too late...

I will post this guys review of the movie which may explain it better than I do.

I recently saw Sucker Punch at an advance screening and thoroughly enjoyed it. To be honest, I am the target demographic here. I'm a guy in his twenties who plays video games and enjoys fantasy movies and action.... but this is a decent film overall. It appeals to my "sensible adult" side that appreciates a good, well written film, with great directing, great acting, and overall good cinematography. It also appeals to my "twenty-something male" side that loves sexy ladies, guns, killer robots, dragons, samurai and swordplay. The abundant CG is stunningly beautiful and doesn't feel overdone or become visually exhausting like some movies. This movie gets me. and I know that there will be a good number of people who dislike this movie, dismissing it as juvenile, or stupid. who dislike the amount of CGI used in this movie. I don't care... I love this movie for exactly what it is... a good movie that appeals to me in every way.

I am 60 but I enjoy this type of movie, the music and the video game action. Talking of music, it really fits the movie well, especially Bjork's music.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Who's seen Ted? It's so hilarious but the plot is a bit..you know !
Go the bombersss!
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

I saw it Saturday night & agree it was hilarious. What's not funny about a bong smoking foul mouthed teddy bear??? Didn't think much of the ending but the fight scene cracked me up!!! :roffl:
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!