Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

So... tell me about YOU!

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
P
Pete
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: So... tell me about YOU!

Post by Pete »

Welcome Lee. :)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

LMAO Pete, what are you trying to do, scare off the newbies? We're not weird at all, we're just.... different :laughing:

Big welcome to you Thunder - and yes, you're hired! Send Ree back in sometime, will you, she owes me a few rainfall updates for the map :P
Ree
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Ree »

Great to see you joined Lee, I will help contribute to the NQ thread and keep it going since RWM is abandoning us :cry: .

Lily I just went into hibernation for the winter. Gee I hate cold weather and there is usually nothing happening weather wise. We even managed a frost this year :sccary: , think I just stuck out my toe that morning and decided to stay in bed (happened a few times over the winter). Things have warmed up and starting to get abit interesting, I will try and contribute more.

(I love all the different smilies :laughing: )
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thunder I don't mind Robyn or Rivergirl :) Nice to see you back Ree :)
o
oz1235
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by oz1235 »

Hi Fellow weather nut or Tragics.

Live out in PAkenham, Vic.

I got to do work exprience at the Vic Region Office at the old Lonsdale St Building. Love the Week!!

I follow the Melbourne Storm as well(Not because I like weather but got dissatified by the AFL)

Talk soon

oz
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Hello there Oz, welcome to you :D
peterhau
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by peterhau »

Where to start?

My Name is Peter, I have always followed storms, as they have come into canberra. I have weather knees from too much hockey, I was in Darwin for Cyclone Tracy, and a couple of smaller cyclones. Whilst I was in darwin I had a phobia about thunderstorms, which I only overcame by watching them really close up, now I am hooked. I am 40, I have 3 kids who don't come when I go out into the storms armed with my 40th birthday present, a Nikon D3000, a tripod and an umbrella. I found this site when a guy suggested I follow the twitter profile, which i now do. I have taken 3 decent photos of lightning, many photos of clouds, and I am grateful to the pro photographers giving me pointers. I am a long time WZ member, but I know people who are on here and not on WZ - so I can interact with them beyond the twitter 400char limit.

I have set up a redbubble profile, with the dim hope of raising money for new lenses, cameras, etc.

I am interested to see the discussions and other member photos - I learn best from interaction and example.
POW! ZAP! I don't chase storms, I patiently wait for them to come to me.... Usually the soaked guy with the dry camera, atop a mountain, out of running distance from the car...
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Hi Peter!!

It is fantastic to have you on board!! :) You are one of many that has transferred over to the AWF and it's great to know that you follow our twitter feed (for when we have time to update it!!) :D

Your experiences through Tropical Cyclone Tracy and others must have been amazing! You sound like me when I was younger. I also had a small phobia with lightning, but I've overcome that like you. ;) I think when you say that you are 'hooked', we know what you mean. Are your kids at all interested in weather? Or are they too young yet to appreciate the true power of it all?

Don't be afraid to share your photos in the relevant threads either, or ask questions!! We're all here to help and have a great time!

Thanks for joining!! :D
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
W
Wetspot
New User
Reactions:

Post by Wetspot »

Hi All,

New member who has grown tired of the hijacking of another forum by one or two members claiming to be god's answer to the weather. I actually recognise some of the member names in here so it's good to see. I noticed Ciarns AWS isn't on your mp. :(
Cheers Wetspot (Cairns - deep ,deep north))
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Hi Wetspot from Cairns, welcome to the AWF :) When you get a chance let us know how the weather goes up there. We don't have many people from Qld.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Hey WS :)

Welcome to our little community :) We are small in number but we love to talk about weather all the time and other things :) Feel free to hijack the QLD room :) It is your home just as much as ours :)

We are excited to have another QLDer!! :)
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
v
vicstormchaser
New User
Reactions:

Post by vicstormchaser »

Hi all. Have known about the AWF for years but never got around to registering till now. First post so why not the intro. Saw 2012 was the last post so hopefully this works! :D

I'm Scott and I'm from the outer south eastern burbs of Melbourne. Been married for nearly 20 years (time flies!!) to an awesome lady. Have two epic girls. One in High School and the other a very successful business owner. You may have heard of her Florist in Drouin - The Willow Branch.

I'm a Bus Driver for Transdev and have been for just over two years now and it's been an action packed two years! Had a scary accident eight weeks ago when I had a head on with a car at Eltham. Was on the news. I drive the longest routes in Melbourne - 901 and 902. Love the job.

Weather wise I'm obsessed. I decided to get serious with my weather back in 2012 and started Victorian Storm Chasers. Don't have the brain to understand the advanced bits of Meteorology so decided to just observe and enjoy it. Keen follower of the action in the US and spend copious amounts of time on Twitter and Facebook and recently Insta.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Hi Scott 🙂

Welcome! I’m sure you’ll love it here. Wow scary incident you had there. Hope you have recovered

No doubt a lot of people here have heard of Victorian Storm Chasers
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Hi all, when not working or watching the weather I like to weld. InDustyRealDesigns on facebook. Have a look if you like metal art.
y
yorkie
New User
Reactions:

Post by yorkie »

Yorkie from Mackay NQ i am interested in buying my first weather station.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Welcome Yorkie, great to have you here! What type of weather station are you interested in?
s
samboz
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by samboz »

Howdy to AWF'ers, another WZ migrant.

Like the feel/ethos of the place :D

Peter
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Howdy Peter! :P Hopefully you enjoy yourself here, we have a great little community! :)
djon
New User
Reactions:

Post by djon »

Hi everyone!

Growing up on a farm instilled a certain interest in the weather, but it wasn't until I discovered snowboarding in the late 90s that understanding the weather really became an interest. I started mostly interested in snow. I used to spend a lot of time on the ski.com.au weather forums, and be involved in forecasting snowfalls there, but haven't been active there for a few years now.

I'm based in Melbourne down on the peninsula. Like to go 'chase' low level' snow falls when time allows. Managed a trip up near Mt. St Leonard/Toolangi last weekend.

I run https://theweatherchaser.com/ which is mostly used as an archive for radars going back many years. I have just started a full rebuild of the site after many years of neglect. Hoping to spend even more time working on it now. Lots to do, but some initial improvements are now live :)

Cheers!