Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

So... tell me about YOU!

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: So... tell me about YOU!

Post by Lily »

Gidday Robbo, welcome :D Yep, you've come to the right place, you'll get a heads up here on what's going on weather-wise well before most! Upcoming weather as discussed here may not always come to fruition, but there are people here that have picked severe events before anyone else (that I've seen anyway).

Now, onto important stuff... do you have a rain gauge? :laughing:
Robbo
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Robbo »

Thanks for the welcome !
Rain Gauge?No,i just read the gauge @ the station,its digital/online.Prefer the Black Cockies as Rain Gauges ... :D
3030WX
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 3030WX »

Thank you for the welcome!
Current weather at Truganina

Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation. - Kin Hubbard
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

You've probably seen a fair few of my posts so I thought I might share a little more about who I am.

I'm a 36 year old bloke who grew up in Bendigo, completed Uni studies and worked as an Engineer in Melbourne for over 10 years, got married in July last year and moved back to Bendigo! I'm currently studying a Masters degree in an area completely unrelated to engineering and meteorology.

I've always been a person who likes to observe and attempt to understand how the world operates, which obviously includes the weather. Main memories of the weather have included watching Back Creek flood in August 1978, snow in June 1981, Feb 1983 dust storm (I also got heat stroke and threw up at school that day!), snow in July 1984, lots of cranking storms in the late 80s, the epic frosts of 1994, May 2000 cold snap, monster hailstorm in Dec 2003 (Forest Hill), snowed on in NSW alps in Dec 2004, Feb 2005 cyclone in Melb, and the terror of being in Lilydale on Black Saturday with Pyrocumulus storms throwing out lightning bolts and cinders.

In some ways I'm quite retro and prefer shooting 35mm film (my only digital camera is a mobile phone). I'm also a nerd who goes trainspotting, appreciates quality art, and happens to be 43.3% bogan.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

:D Thanks for telling us a bit more about yourself stratospear. I'm sure Lily will identify with the bogan bit :P

You have sure lived through some massive weather events too
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Here's a question for you in light of Ryan's recent nerdy revelations and Moo's bogan quiz::

Can a bogan also be a nerd?

Frankly, I think the bogan test results were a little skewed. I mean, how many blokes wear a black bra under a white t-shirt? And show me a woman who has NEVER in her life worn a darker bra than her outer clothing? We all have, come on girls, be honest! :laughing:

Nice to "meet" you Stratospear :D I remember the dust storm in '83 too, I was at high school and it came through just as school finished for the day, was an amazing sight!
b
boxsey
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by boxsey »

Hi all, nice to find you all. I'm a mum to 3, wife to 1, nurse and midwife who is trying to develop a bit more knowledge about weather in my area. Seems like the perfect place here!
Been in my current location for 15+ years. Apart from 3 years during nursing training, and a year in the northern part of Wisconsin (USA), I've spent the rest of my life north of the tropic of capricorn. Some time spent in the gulf of carpentaria, emerald, the isa...and mostly here.

Oh, and Lily...I'm and old Guide myself, and daughter has just joined. No ironing badges now!!!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I do love reading these little passages about everyone. Welcome aboard to you all. I am so excited to see so many join and great to see the QLDers joining too!! Starting to see the family grow!! :)
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

From one old Guide to another - hello again Boxsey! :D

How old is your daughter? Does she enjoy it? I used to love Brownies and Guides :) As Karl has said, glad to see you've found us, welcome!
b
boxsey
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by boxsey »

She's almost ten, and will make her promise soon. Its the first thing that she's done that she's absolutely into. I was too, as a kid....i think because it gave me lots of opportunities i wouldn't have otherwise had. I think its great for her to have another bunch of girls to be with too, apart from at school.....allready the cat fights have started, though thus far, she's steered clear.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Oh, they're nearly the same age then :) My little girl's 9 in a couple of weeks. I'm with you on developing friendships outside of school, absolutely! I'm going through that with my son at the moment too (he's 12). And boy oh boy at the cattiness! Girls are just terrible, aren't they? :?

I might have to talk to my daughter again about it, like you, I have fond memories of being a Guide :)
Ree
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Ree »

I am 32, a mother of 2 (1g, 1b), with my youngest starting Prep this year so I finally have some time to myself :woooo: . I have always from a young age loved storms, one of my favourite pass times is to park up outside with a Bundy and watch lightning.
I started work as an apprentice electrician repairing appliances, then I met my wonderful partner while both working as underground electricians at Newlands Coal Mine (Glenden). We bought 150acres just outside Mackay where we now live, to start with we lived in a shed and had an old Queenslander relocated. The Queenslander is now nearly fully renovated, doing most of the work ourselves we are really proud but will never, ever do it again. While the kids were young I wanted to earn some money from the land we have, so I started a small free range pig farm, the other half thought I had gone mad, but now it is going really well and I don't have enough pigs to supply the demand ;) . I also love gardening, my gardens are survival of the fittest (if they require too much attention they usually die) and besides a few bromelaids all plants are edible.
I have always been curious about cyclones until Ului last year crossed the coast 80km away at the Whitsundays. It was the scariest experience of my life, we had just moved into our house but had no slab underneath. It is amazing how much movement there is in an old Queenslander. I am still fascinated by cyclones but if anything over a cat 3 heads our way, I am heading for the hills.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Welcome to you Ree! We are so glad to have you on here!! And enjoying the updates and the posting of charts etc!!!

The QLD arm is certainly growing on this forum!!! :)
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
D
Davey
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Davey »

Hello Everyone !

I'm Dave, 42 from Westmeadows. Married with 1 daughter and 2 grandies.. :D . Currently working as a humble truck driver.

I never really thought much about the weather till I got caught in a monster storm in Feb 09 (I think) . Driving on the Tulla one Saturday afternoon I had to pull over with most other traffic for 30 mins....Visibility ZERO ! Wife hit the panic button with all the hail putting dints in her new car.
I sat there looking at the BOM site on my phone pondering where all this rain/hail had suddenly come from. To be honest it wasa little bit frightening actually. Got the weather bug. Well sorta.

I recently purchased a home weather station that seems to be working OK at the moment . If only I knew what all that data meant? :o

Looking forward to my stay here.

Cheers

Davey
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Hey again, Davey, welcome :D You'll have to join us in the rainfall map (link in my sig) so we can start adding your rainfall too!

Great to have another weather nut aboard, you'll be at home here :laughing: I've always had an interest in it, but like you, it was after a massive storm (which resulted in our home getting completely flooded) in Dec '03 that made me start looking around to find out more.

Look forward to reading more from you :) Truckie, eh? So you get to enjoy all those people cutting you off day in and day out - NOT (I'm a salesrep for a transport company, on the road every day and constantly amazed at the people that pull in front of heavy, loaded vehicles. Crazy!).
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Yes, I echo the welcome Davey - and guess what - you are our 400th member! CONGRATULATIONS! :mexicanwave:
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by retiredweatherman »

Need more from the " Deep North ", only about 3 of us so far..
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Well, get to it RWM ;) :P Do you guys know any weather watchers up there that might like to join us? We'd love to see more of you :cheers2:
P
Pete
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pete »

Hi, my name is Peter. I am 16 years old and have been a weather freak since I was 5 or 6. I am currently studying maths and science/physics and physical science for my year 11/12. I plan to be a meteorologist after I finish school/uni ect. I live in Albany, Western Australia but I was born in New Plymouth in New Zealand.
I have been obsessed with weather as long as I can remember and started my own observations last year for my suburb. Other than that I like music, particularly soul and R & B. Adele is my favourite singer. Other interests are photography (when I can get a decent camera) and sport. :)
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

You've found the right spot Pete, many of us have been proud to watch upcomming weather guru's like yourself develop and go onto becoming the new guns in the Met field. So get those posts going, dont be afraid to write down your assumptions on upcomming weather events, and never ever take opposing weather views to your posts as a personal attack! Nobody is ever right when it comes to the weather.