Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Good Entry Level Camera????

Upload a picture and share it with us. Of nature at it's finest!!! Remember there is more on this earth than weather!!! The world is literally your frame.....
Tornado
Cumulus
Reactions:

Good Entry Level Camera????

Post by Tornado »

Can I please have some suggestions on a good entry level camera?

Happy to spend up to $1000, but less if possible.

I know nothing about photography, but happy to learn as I go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Leroy
He strolls up to the twister, and he says, *have a drink*. And he chucks the bottle into the twister, and it never hits the ground.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Re: Good Entry Level Camera????

Post by schitzengiggles »

Pentax K-x is the best sub $1000 camera around at the moment. It can be had for about $750 with a kit 18-55mm & 70-200mm.
Google some reviews, and check out pentaxforums.com
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Leroy, depends on what functions you the camera to be able to have, and if you mind buying off of Ebay.

The canon 1000D is a great entry level DSLR. I have a few friends that have those cameras and they are thrilled. You can pick up a group package from Tdimension for around $670.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/A0818-Canon-EOS- ... 58874922c8

I'll have som more time on mondy and i'll have better look around. :)
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
Tornado
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Tornado »

Thanks Riki,
eBay is my best friend :thumbsup: No issues buying off there at all.
He strolls up to the twister, and he says, *have a drink*. And he chucks the bottle into the twister, and it never hits the ground.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

http://www.tipa.com/english/XX_tipa_awards_2010.php
via
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pent ... award.html

I haven't seen any other Pentaxians around TU, hence me pushing hard. I thought I was the only one in the cart.
Tornado
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Tornado »

Thanks Giggles, :thumbsup:
Might spend the week 'Shopping Around' for one of the suggestions!
Cheers
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

think carefully about it, as once you buy a particular brand, switching is a difficult and expensive excercise since the lenses are not cross compatible.

i'd suggest you get involved on the pentax/nikon/canon forums and have a look at the countless numbers of "beginners kit bag" threads of suggestions.

one way or another, each of the three brands seems to have a deal going on an approx 18-55mm lens, w/70-200 or 70-300.. thereabouts.. which will certainly get you going. a nice fast prime will help too. each of the 3 brands have a cheap 50mm f1.4ish lens available.

canon and pentax have a 10-20mm sigma lens which is an invaluable tool to look at too.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

There's Pentax lenses a plenty! 35mm Pentax lenses are compatible with DSLRs. My best lens is my 1970s 50mm! There's literally thousands of them lying around in junk shops around town.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Doesn't that tell you anything?

Sorry, just seemed so amusing for you to come say that.
It tells me that when film cameras were king, there were plenty of Pentaxes around. These are manual lenses too. I can't stand AF. It's damn slow on a cheap camera.
P
Pete
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pete »

Hey guys. Is buying a half-decent camera soon, I want to know your opinions on this.
http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/sto ... &idImage=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My budget is limited to $300, that's all I can afford at the moment. The only other camera I've been looking at is the Canon sx20 IS, but its shots are very soft and grainy, even at 80 ISO.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Hey Pete!
It seems like a great camera as an all-rounder, especially if you are limited to $300. It's well spec'd, especially shooting in full HD. My only concern is that it uses AA batteries. Even if you get a bunch of rechargeable batteries, they are still a pain in the butt IMO. You are best looking for a slightly less snazzy camera, but has a Lithium Ion (or better) rechargeable battery - they are much more efficient than standard AA's, and usually have a higher capacity.

I have a Canon Ixus 80 iS, 8 megapixel, 3x zoom. Shoots in Sub-HD, but more than happy with the quality. A good plus with it is that will shoot many many hours of timelapse on a single charge, so you can set up and leave it for a passing storm and catch all the action...

Anyway I could go on, but perhaps the best advice I could give is go to Dick Smith or where ever and take your time to have a play - ask the sales guys nicely and they should be able to stick a set of batteries in for you to power it up....

Have fun!
P
Pete
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pete »

Yeah, trouble is deciding between Canons and Nikons... The L120 has some mixed reviews... apparently the HD video is poor and grainy, also the fps isn't that great and, yeah the batteries will be a problem. But then the Canons seem to have lens errors, also has no manual controls. I'm going to keep searching, just look at other brands like Sony and Panasonic, see if I can find something else. Looks like every camera has pros and cons. :)
C
Cass
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Cass »

I to have been looking at a new camera, our old film camera that was 20 year old and still worked like a charm was stolen.
So now im looking at a Canon EOS 60D twin lens kit for $1241

The reason for the canon is the old film camera was a canon and the lens that we have still should fitt (all have red dots).

I would like some feedback before buying, but seems like the best beal.

Thanks Cass