Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

What Camera do you have?

Upload a picture and share it with us. Of nature at it's finest!!! Remember there is more on this earth than weather!!! The world is literally your frame.....
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Re: What Camera do you have?

Post by AUSSKY »

Camera
Camera Make: Canon
Type: High end consumer DSLR
Model: 550D
How long have you used it: 2 weeks & 400 images (upgraded from Canon 400D).

Comments/Thoughts: Nice step up from the 400D.. 18 meg images rather than 10. Sharp!!!!! Greater ASA range (100 - 6400). Handles low light fabulously well (can handhold shots so long as there's something to focus on) - a little grainy but not as noisy as the 400D. Gathers amazing amounts of light....will be useful to see through blinding rain with zero visibility (a bit like you can use a low lux video camera). Fits neatly in the hand. Black (yes, that's important ;) ) SD card rather than flash card. Seems to go towards the blue end of the spectrum a little more than the 400D at lower sun angles. Downloads at an incredible rate, processes images almost instantly. Has a creative setting which allows you to blur your background, change the brightness etc (set in between program, and semi manual). Can also preview images as you could with the Canon AE1 P series of SLR's.

Lenses Used:
Canon 18-55mm Image Stabilised (kit): gathers slightly more of the image than the older but equivalent lens with the 400D.

Canon 55-250mm IS (kit): Nice useful lens....just needs that extra bit of length hence I kept my.......
Canon 75 - 300mm (from the 400D kit): wasn't going to get rid of this - it's a good lens and the range 250 - 300mm is incredibly useful.

So far...verdict after 400 images...delighted!! Will keep us happy for the next few years....next step will be to go to a pro outfit.
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Camera
Canon EOS 350D
Lenses used
EFS 18-55mm Kit Lens. ok lens.
EF 50mm f1.8 Great lens but forget to pop it on,
EF 75-300mm love this one. Learning to keep a steady hand is interesting.

Had this for ~ 4 years after Canon powershot s45 which was also a great camera.
Over due for an upgrade to the 7D with new lenses.
Santa said it was ok, but just cant justify so much money when what I have is ok
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Camera
Canon 30D DSLR
8.2MP 100 - 3200 ISO, 4 Metering modes (I often use spot metering to get exposure on specific areas of something)

Had it since end of 2006

One of the main reasons for buying the 30D at the time was for it's speed of 5 FPS which I wanted for Airshows and Car racing etc, it's still faster then a Canon 5D MK2 which is obviously designed more towards landscape and portrait photography etc.
I shoot in RAW and manual mode 99% of the time to control the exposure exactly how I want, not how the camera wants in auto modes depending on subject and metering mode.

Lenses
Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM
This is the main lens I use at the moment , great range but not up to the quality of the Pro L series lenses.

Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS USM
Use this when ever I need a fair bit of zoom for (motor sports, airshows, close up of sunsets, sporting events, dogs, lightning fairly recently and various other things) awesome quality lens that is quick to change zoom which can also be locked at whatever selected range.

Canon 70-200 f4 L USM
Great medium zoom lens which is lightweight compared to the 100-400, I don't use this much now after getting the 100-400 a few years ago. But if you need something thats fairly fast, great quality and not to heavy this is a great lens (good for bush walking type of stuff where weight can be a issue)

Canon 2x Extender
Great for faster prime zoom lenses, I've used it on the 100-400 before at the moon and other things. Main problem is you lose 2x the speed and a bit of quality of the current lens f5.6 becomes f11 etc, lots of pro's use the 1.3 and 2x extenders on prime zooms (300-600mm etc)

I want to get a 7D one day or the same model that releases after.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Type: Amature - Pro DSLR
Model: 50D
How long have you used it: Just over 1 year (upgrade from Canon 400D).
Comments/Thoughts: Colours, sharpness, noise, ISO, everything on this camera is just amazing. And I have only just started to explore what can actually be done with it! ISO expandable upto 12400. However I wouldn't shoot anything over 3200ISO. Which is still double what I could shoot with the 400D and still has less noise. The 5frames a Second comes in handy for sports and birds.

Lens:
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX HSM
I Love wide angle! This lens is a must have for a Landscape or Stormscape photographer! It constantly amazes me some of the shots that I have seen this lens take. Great colours, clarity and sharpness are amazing for a Sigma Glass. Needs a bit of a clean though I think... must do that one day soon...
Canon 24-70L - F2.8:
This is an amazing lens for low light photography, wether it be weather or shooting at gigs and events. Can be used to do amazing portraits, but thats not my area of expertise. Being a Canon 'L' lens, well theres just not much you can say about this lens to explain other that awesome! :)
Canon 70-200L - F4
If you want sharpness, with focal length, and a great bokeh, this lens is it! Still my favorite lens for clarity, sharpness, colour, and Bokeh. This is amazing lens for lightning when you want to stay a 'safe' distance away from the storm. :)
Canon 100mm F2.8 - Macro:
Have not used this lens much of late, but takes an amazing shot. Great for close ups, and portriats. You will not be displeased if you decide to get this lens.

In the 'if i had enough money bog' to get...
I would love a 7D. The controll, colours, and processor of the 7D are some of the things that catch my eye. Plus the added feature of HD Recording (With the lens that you put on is like a pro Camera some of the videos i've seen from friends)
Canon 100-400mm F4L: I love zoom! Simple. Haha. Birds, people, lightning, that little piece of scud you think is rotating, this lens is something I dream about.
Canon x2 Converter: Mix this with the 100-400mm and you got yourself a 18megapixel pair of binoculars that you can take photo's with!!! *Drool*
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Rikki your Canon 50D shoots at 6.3 FPS, if I had the money when they came out I probably would of got one. Lots of great new features over the 30 - 40D

BTW a Canon 100-400mm F4 L doesn't exist as yet, think you meant F4.5 - 5.6

I think one of the other main features people should consider with DSLR's is the build quality, some of the lower range ones don't have the build strength and quality of the mid to pro level bodies

Also one of the things I love about the Canon 30D and up is the small B&W LCD screen on the top right which gives you all the main camera settings, a lot of the smaller bodies don't have this feature.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

AUS_Twisted wrote:Rikki your Canon 50D shoots at 6.3 FPS, if I had the money when they came out I probably would of got one. Lots of great new features over the 30 - 40D

BTW a Canon 100-400mm F4 L doesn't exist as yet, think you meant F4.5 - 5.6
Yeah I know its advertised at 6.3FPS, but either my CF card is dodgy or thats not true when shooting RAW Files. I can only manage 4-5 FPS at the best of times.

And yeah I do mean the F4.5 - 5.6 100-400mm :) Still a very nice lens!
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Doesn't matter how slow or fast the CF card is, the memory buffer on the camera will fill up first while transferring to the CF card. It definitely should be shooting at 6.3 FPS though on the highest continuous shooting mode as long as a fast enough shutter speed is used.

50D

Great comparison off different bodies from 2.5 to 11 FPS

Or if you wanna be really hardcore and have a setup like this for 30 FPS LOL
Greg Sorenson
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Greg Sorenson »

Type: Amature - Pro DSLR
Model: 5D
How long have you used it: 4 years approx
Comments/Thoughts: Always been a trusty companion. First full frame in the DSLR market, my main reason for purchasing it. A large range of options that cover most of my needs. Issues have mainly been dust related. No weather seal and no vibration means that i have been getting it cleaned about every 6 months or so. It's a sturdy camera though, and has born the brunt of many crash and bangs with some good old scratches to show off my adventures. Almost a mark of a true landscape photographer:) Iso expansion has always been a real feature, esp at 50 with virtually zero noise. Colour rendition has always been excellent. As long as i am shooting this one will be in my kit bag, as my prime or second body.

Lens:
Canon 17 TSE L - F4. Bought for it's ability to straighten verticals in architectural images within the lens itself. In addition, without using the tilt/ shift feature produces one the best edge to edge wide angle sharpness at it's focal length. Downside was it's price tag, but i don't regret it for a second. Pretty much flawless piece of machinery.

Canon 24-70L USM - F2.8:
Everything that Rikki said. has been my mainstay for a long time now and had helped me produce some of my best images. Some loss of sharpness at the edges, but that's to be expected with zoom lenses at either end of it's focal range.

Canon 70-200L USM IS - F2.8:
fantastic for mid range images, wildlife, portraits etc. Sharpness, colour excellent. Stability control has always meant hand held work is made easier. Having 2.8 also means that it's lightning fast.

Canon 50mm F1.4:
This little beauty came in handy for several weddings under low light conditions. Lovely for portrait work, and virtually my favourite for this type of work. Light and compact, a good traveller lens.

Filters:
Singhray Grad ND's - 2 stop hard and soft, 4 stop hard and soft and a 3 stop reverse grad for when the horizon is the brightest part of the image (prevents burn outs during sunset and sunrises)
Singhray 77ø circular filters : warming polarizor, Blue N Yellow polarizor, Vari ND (2 to 8 stops), 5 stop GO SLOW

Tripod: Manfrotto with trigger head. Need to get a more traditional head though, i've worn out the trigger tension so the heavier lenses wont hold on vertical anymore!

Bag: Lowpro Trekker II. Great bag, fits almost everything in, has rain protection. Can be added to as well. With all my gear though i tend to be hitting 13 kgs, so bluffing my way through airports has about a 80% hit rate.
The way they treat bags there is no way that i would let them handle my gear. Had a super keen young officer once at Sydney AP make me weight my bag before going to NZ...... 60 bucks later. errrrrrrrr.
In the next year or so i want to look at a Pelican case for travel. Sort sick and tired of being on the edge waiting to be told off. Most times i get through by making my bag seem light and just like any other carry on bag.

I have come to a point now where i have to decide whether i will put money away for a trip to the US in 2012, or buy another body, possibly in the 1ds range. It has been rumoured that Canon will announce
their 1ds Mk 4 later this year in Sept at Photokina, pointing towards a 32MP plus body. This may push the price of the 1ds mk 3 down, so that might be a more viable option. It's a wait and see scenario atm.
The point is that i can still take high end images with my current 5d, but i know that many editorials and publications require 16MP plus these days, so i need to start to push into this region.
Planning on living a long time. There's so much to do in such a short space of a life!
Greg Sorenson
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Greg Sorenson »

Congrats, great purchase!

I know that Tim Thorpe (Hillsrain) from SA bought the D300 last year and he's rapt. You should contact him if you need some advice, just mention my name and he will help you out.
The man thoroughly goes through his cameras, testing all of their functions, so gets the most out of it. You'll find him on WZ, mostly in the SA thread.
Planning on living a long time. There's so much to do in such a short space of a life!
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

I'm a complete Luddite and apart from my mobile phone I only have film cameras:
Pentax MZ-10
Pentax MZ-50
Olympus OM-40
Canon Prima AS-1 (waterproof- great in wet weather and underwater)
Holga CFN120 (for trippy arty hipster shots)
and currently restoring an old Yashica-D TLR (Medium Format)

That and a whole lot of nice full-frame glass has cost me very little. Film and processing is another matter...but I like the results I get...
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

Camera Make: Nikon
Type: Mid-level DSLR
Model: D90
How long have you used it: 18 months
Comments/Thoughts: When I first started with the camera it was all shiny and wow... now I am running into some of its limitations at the higher end. But these limitations are more than counter balanced by the overall weight and usability of the camera. Stick a travel lens on it and the camera will do 99% of shots that you want, without the weight of the full frame D700. I can not recommend it highly enough to those looking for an entry into the DSLR market.

Lenses Used:
Nikkor 18-55mm VR( kit): (No Longer Use)
I couldn't afford the 18-200mm VR Nikkor when I got the camera... :-)
Nikkor 55-200mm VR (kit): (No Longer Use)
The long kit lens I got with the camera... like the 18-55mm it is one that I only take with me when I want to shoot with the VR or indoors.
Nikkor 70-300G F4-5.6: (Cheap Long)
Great if you are shooting something that is not moving with a lot of light... just forget about sports or vast motion. The length is great but it hunts a lot and you really throw away a lot of motion shots. Front element also rotates making using a Circular Polariser very fiddly.
Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 (Favourite)
If you want a wide lens... this is the one to get. F2.8 makes it much faster than any of the other wides and it is very sharp and fast, with very little distortion.
Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3: (most on time)
This is my travel lens, the one that I always leave on the camera, why because it is the one that I can pull the camera out of the bag and get the shot with.

Others:
ML-3 Remote: A must for doing longer than 30 second exposures plus has the advantage of being wireless.
Hoya 62mm Circular Polariser (this fits both on the 18-200 and the 70-300mm)
UV Filters for all the lenses above...
2x Nikon EN-EL3e Batteries - Despite being able to get over 2500 shots out of a battery... always have a second!

more details here on my bloghttp://www.wolfcat.com.au/randomrants/nikon-d90/ (including the wish list and computer gear I take on the road)
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Hey John have you wiped that smile off your face yet?!? :D

Here's my money pit!

Type: DSLR
Model: 50D
How long: 10mths
Comments thus far: Love it, find it very easy to use for my applications such as landscape, storm, infrared, high dynamic range, panoramic etc, has most the bells and whistles and is well built. Previously have had a 350D, 400D and 450D but this is another world again....but I always want more!

Lenses: Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS USM, Canon 10-22 wide angle, Canon 50mm f1.8
Bits and pieces: Used Manfrotto tripod, Hoya cicular polarizing filter, Hoya infrared filter, Lowepro Slingshot 300 bag.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Type: Entry level DSLR
Model: EOS 1000D
How long: 1 week :D

Lenses Used:
Canon 18-55mm Image
Canon 55-250mm IS

Spending most of the time taking shots of the kids and dogs. We're off to Lakes Entrance this weekend, so we'll be giving it a workout. 8-)
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Towering Updraft wrote:Haha, Sounds good Wes. Hope you mean your going to be testing out the self control settings :).
Ah, yes John ;) 8-) :P
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Towering Updraft wrote: Took some amazing photos along the great ocean road over the last few days as well...the 50mm spends alot of time on the camera ;)
Funny, my mate was there doing exactly the same thing last weekend, you may have crossed paths...

Canon 400d entry level DSLR,
bog standard twin lens kit, with polarising filter and a dodgy tripod (ahem, the 75-300mm lens is hardly worth mentioning)

Good for high(er) quality portraits and landscapes, but never seem to be able to get anywhere near what some of you guys on here get.

prostrates himself...
**we're not worthy, we're not worthy** ;)
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

I have all those cameras. Not physically of course.

Just curious, of all the contacts i have had through the store, only one has wanted a 7D, everyone has gone for the Nikons...

Not sure why as im not a camera enthusiast. Just strange that Nikons get 5 times the views than Canons...

Im tipping there would be little difference?
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Towering Updraft wrote:Ok...now thats freaky. Lol.
Im actually wondering if you were the person who asked me whether you could get around with a stroller at Triplet falls?
LOL, no it wasn't me mate, it was a friend of mine and his wife down the GOR - definitely no stroller with them either!
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

:redguy: charging my new battery.. woo hoo pretty excited.
Bought a new 7D yesterday, and today Im on my second one, first one had a hic cup with CF card, and was very lucky to have the store change it over straight away.
Last edited by Australis(Shell3155) on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

Pentax K-x 12.4mp Entry level DSLR
18-55mm Kit
50mm f1.7 Pentax
10-20mm Sigma F4-5.6 (I think)
70-300mm Tamron Cheapie

I use a Lowepro Slingshot bag, Velbon Sherpa 250 tripod and a Pentax IR Remote.

Various filters, UV for all, polarisers for all, latest acquisitions are a couple of 77mm ND8's which will hopefully allow me to leave the shutter open on the 10-20mm next season during the day.

I adore the camera, the reviews are right, it murders the Canikons for the price.

Despite the adoration of the camera, I find the lack of a battery grip and shutter release cable pretty frustrating, so I'll upgrade the body at some point. While I'm at it i'll snaffle a DA-L 40mm Pancake. A Bigma of some description is on the purchase radar also.

Can anyone suggest a good quality, inexpensive, compact 1080p video camera? I've often wished I had one while I was out chasing, it'd be nice to be able to re-cap what was going on around me while I was focussed on something else.
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

schitzengiggles wrote:Pentax K-x 12.4mp Entry level DSLR
Can anyone suggest a good quality, inexpensive, compact 1080p video camera? I've often wished I had one while I was out chasing, it'd be nice to be able to re-cap what was going on around me while I was focussed on something else.
Hi, I just bought a Sony HDR-CX110 from JB in Bourke St City for $665 plus $70 for a spare battery and $70 for a 16GB SD card. It is a new entry level Full HD camera which I assumed it would not do the job in low light which of course is critical for storms so I was expecting to spend a lot more $$$. However, after using it in the store in dull areas it was exceptional IMO. Great ability to focus in low light and lots of detail. Very small, no HDD and no tape! Full HD recording at 1920x1080 and 25x optical zoom which is also very good. Also has manual focus control which is essential in low light situations.

I havent used it for a storm yet but I am impressed so far for the money.

Brad.