Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

What Camera do you have?

Upload a picture and share it with us. Of nature at it's finest!!! Remember there is more on this earth than weather!!! The world is literally your frame.....
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Re: What Camera do you have?

Post by schitzengiggles »

Thanks Brad, that's around what I want to spend. Top reviews too.
How long does 16gb record for?
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

According to this you'll get 40mins of the highest quality Full HD from an 8GB card and that fits with what the sales guys were saying too:

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files ... RCX110.pdf

I have 2x16GB and 1x8GB SD cards and make sure you get no lower than Class4 SD cards, preferrably Class 6.

Brad.
Joeby
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Joeby »

Camera: D70
Camera Make: Nikon
Type: Entry-level DSLR
Model: D70
How long have you used it: 2 years (upgrade from 35mm Film SLR).
Comments/Thoughts:

Around 30k images so far and still running really smoothly. The Nikon functionality for bracketing, shutter speed & app. settings I find really intuitive and is literally at your finger tips which is great for experimentation. Thoroughly recommend this type of camera to anyone. Not to mention its got some weight which I love.

Kits lens I think its a 18-80 or similar but I mainly move between the Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 macro and the Sigma 10-20 Wide Ang. To be honest the wide angle rarely comes off the camera now, I just love it. Super sharp and perfect for landscapes and we keep a little Canon Ixus in the bag for family snapshots etc as they are just so convenient. I have a B&W 10 stop ND filter which Im learning to use atm, can do slow shutter speed work in full aussie sun with it!

My next upgrade will be a high spec'd DX sensor Nikon, only problem is the D70 wont die and doesnt look like it anytime soon so hard to justify an upgrade atm! Hmm perhaps its needs a dip in the lake...

:D

Joel
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Should be picking up a Canon 550D this wknd. My first SLR and it's fair to say I'm pretty damn excited! :D
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Tossing up between the 550D or the Nikon D90...any suggestions?
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

I can't really give you too much advice, other than to say I love my 550D, worth every penny!
Joeby
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Joeby »

Theres a lot of debate around Nikon & Canon Anthony, both are awesome. Go for the best deal you can get and think about lenses too as there are bundles sometimes available that you could never get without getting the camera at the same time.

I had always used Canon and loved them but I ended up getting a hot deal on my D70 and have to say Im now Im a Nikon man for life. I rekon go to some shops pick em up have a play and see which one takes your preference, think about how she feels in your hands, etc rather then settings as you will learn that either way.

Also http://www.dpreview.com/ may help too, check out the customer feedback, its always a little more realistic ;)

Good luck mate, let us know how you go.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Joel i can get both twin kits for about $1200, canon maybe $50 more but lens is 55-255 rather than 55-250.

So they are almost identical, as i said we have sold more Nikon D90s sell at a ratio of 4 to 1.

To be honest i wont have much time to take weather shots with it, but more a fact that its time to upgrade to an SLR.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

Camera Make: Nikon
Type: Entry Level DSLR
Model: D70
How Long: Since Feb 2005

Lenses:
18-70ED (awesome kit lens)
70-300G (crap 'twin' lens kit)
18-200VR (to replace both above)
Sigma 10-20 (couldn't live without! LOVE it!)

Other bits:
SB 600 flash
2 batteries
numerous cards
Manfrotto 055CLB legs and a 029 3D head
cheap and nasty remote
Lowepro Nova 5 bag ( need to switch to backpack style)

That's what I have currently, but I am on the verge of buying a D300s body. I am having far too many errors with my D70 now, and having to use the card recovery program to find my photos. I don't trust it anymore, but it has served me well for almost 6 years...No idea of how many shutter actuations it's had, but judging by the amount I have used it...lots! Once I get a D300s I will have the D70 serviced and cleaned and use it as a backup. I have also been comparing with the D90, but think I'll go the D300s...just have to wait for the tax return!

Hunting out good prices, so if you see anything, please let me know!
Last edited by stormygirl on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

Hi John,

Thanks for the info! I'd like to hold off, but that entirely depends on the behaviour of my D70! If it 100% dies, then I'll have no other option than to purchase something. I cannot do without a camera, and my little point and shoot is pretty useless now too (old and outdated, too slow, crap 3 point 'something' mp).

I'm liking the sound of the D7000 if the rumours are true, and I may still consider the D300s, depending on the specs of the D7000...and hoping the price will drop with it's release!

In the mean time, I'll battle on with the frustrations and constant errors |:/

Oh, and I had to edit my other post, it's the 18-70ED kits lens I have, not the 18-55!
Vortex
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Vortex »

Starting out in 2001 my very first camera that I used to shoot a thunderstorm was a Kodak DX3500! It was bloody awful! This particular model boasted a massive 2.2 mega-pixels with 3 x digital zoom! Anyways, nowadays I use a Canon EOS 500D. I purchased the 500D back in June 2009 and it was a fantastic investment. The HD video feature is excellent and processes the video quickly. I ended buying an 8Gb card for data storage as well as you can never have enough space, hopefully will be looking for a much bigger card soon!

The lens used is 17mm-85mm which I have found to be sufficient. It really is a great camera to use and is light and durable! I also have the RS-60E3 shutter release which is fantastic to shoot long exposures and lightning in particular! Here are some of the specs.

Type: Digital single-lens reflex camera
Sensor: CMOS APS-C 22.3 x 14.9 mm (1.6x conversion factor)
Maximum resolution: 15.1 effective megapixels, 4,752 x 3,168
Lens type: Canon EF lens mount, Canon EF-S lens mount (17mm-85mm)
Shutter: focal-plane
Shutter speed range: 1/4000 to 30 sec and Bulb, 1/200 s X-sync
Exposure metering: Full aperture TTL, 35-zone SPC
Exposure modes: Full Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, No Flash, Program AE, Shutter-priority, Aperture-priority, Manual, Auto Depth-of-field
Metering modes : Spot, Evaluative, Partial (approx. 9% at center of viewfinder), Center-weighted average
Focus areas: 9 AF points
Focus modes: AI Focus, One-Shot, AI Servo, Live View
Continuous shooting: 3.4 frame/s for 170 JPEGs or 9 RAW files
Viewfinder Eye-level pentamirror SLR, 95% coverage, 0.87x magnification
ASA/ISO range: ISO 100 to 3200 (expandable to 12800)
Flash: E-TTL II automatic built-in pop-up
Flash bracketing: Yes
Custom WB: Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Manual, user-set
WB bracketing: +/- 3 stops in 1-stop increments;
Rear LCD monitor: 3 in color TFT LCD, 920,000 pixels
Storage: Secure Digital Card Secure Digital High Capacity
Battery: LP-E5 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.4 V, 1050 mAh)
Dimensions: 129 x 98 x 62 mm
Weight: 480 g (body only, no battery)
Optional battery packs: BG-E5 grip
Check us out on Facebook: 'South Brisbane Storms'
http://www.redbubble.com/people/southbrisstorms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

V - I need one of those in my life right now!!!

I will be travelling to Darwin in January for three weeks of chasing and sitting and watching and chasing and monsoonal squalls and chasing.

I will be buying a camera soon....thoughts???

Budget of $2000
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

Hi everyone,

I didn't want to start a new thread, as hopefully it will my future camera, but does anyone have any idea when the Nikon D7000 will be available to buy?? I can't seem to find much info online at all, and I'm getting pretty desperate! I am looking at buying from OS as the US dollar is fabulous and I refuse to be ripped off by buying it here! The only problem is I would love to 'try before I buy' but it's impossible at the moment as it hasn't been released in Aus. Frustrating!!

Any idea??
S
SunsetTwilight
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by SunsetTwilight »

Hello
I use the fujifilm S9600
Number of effective pixels 9.0million pixels
CCD sensor 1/1.6-inch Super CCD HR
Number of total pixels : 9.24 million pixels
Number of recorde pixels Still image - 3,488x2,616 (9.03 million) / 3,696x2,464(3:2 format) /2,592x1944/ 2,048x1,536 / 1,600x1,200 / 640x480 pixels
Movie - 640 x 480 / 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames/sec., with monaural sound
Storage media Slot No 1 - xD-Picture Card™ (16MB to 2GB)
Slot No 2 - CF Card and MicroDrive™(compatibility is listed on Fujifilm website: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
File format Still image - CCD-RAW/JPEG (Exif Ver 2.2)
Movie - AVI (Motion JPEG )
Design rule for Camera File system compliant / DPOF-compatible
Lens Fujinon 10.7X zoom lens , F 2.8 - F4.9
Lens focal length f=6.2 - 66.7 mm. (Equivalent to 28 - 300 mm on a 35 mm camera)
Focus Auto focus (Area,Multi,Center)/Manual focus/Continuous AF
AF assist illuminator available, Effective range:up to 3.5m(Wide angle)
Focus distance Normal - Wide Angle: Approx. 40cm /1.3 ft. to infinity Telephoto: Approx. 2.0m /6.6ft. to infinity
Macro - Wide Angle: Approx. 10cm - 3.0m /4.0 in.- 9.8 ft. Telephoto: Approx. 90cm - 3.0m /3.0ft.- 9.8 ft.
Super Macro - Approx. 1cm - 1.0m / 0.4 in.-3.3 ft.(Wide angle only)
Shutter speed Auto/Anti Blur/Natural Light/Portrait/Landscape : 1/4sec. to 1/4000 sec.
Night Scene : 4sec.to 1/500sec.
P/S/A : 4sec. to 1/4000sec., M : 30sec. to 1/4000sec
Bulb(Up to 30sec.)
Aperture F2.8 - F11, 13 steps in 1/3 EV increments Manual/Auto selectable
Sensitivity AUTO/Equivalent to ISO 80/100/200/400/800/1600
Exposure control 256-zone TTL metering-Multi/Spot/Average
Exposure modes Programmed AE, Aperture Priority AE, Shutter Priority AE, Manual
White balance Automatic Manual : Fine, Shade, Fluorescent light (Daylight), Fluorescent light (Warm White), Fluorescent light (Cool White), Incandescent light, Custom(2 types)
Electronic Viewfinder 0.44-inch low temperature polysilicon TFT(approx.235,000 pixels), Approx. 100% coverage
LCD monitor 2.0-inch Low temperature polysilicon TFT (approx. 235,000 pixels), Approx. 100% coverage
Flash Auto flash
Effective range :
Wide angle: Approx. 30cm to 5.6 m / 1.0 ft. to 18.4 ft.
Telephoto: Approx. 90cm to 3.0 m / 3.0 ft. to 9.8 ft.
Flash mode : Auto, Red-eye Reduction, Forced Flash, Suppressed Flash, Slow Synchro
Red-eye Reduction + Slow Synchro.
Self-timer Approx. 2 / 10 sec. delay
Video output NTSC / PAL selectable
Digital interface USB2.0 High-Speed
Power source 4xAA type alkaline batteries(included)/ 4xAA type Ni-MH rechargeable batteries(optional) or AC power adapter AC-5VX(optional)
Dimensions 128.0(W) X 93.0 (H) X 129.0(D) mm / 5.0(W) X 3.7(H) X 5.1(D) in.
Weight Approx. 650g / 22.9oz.(excluding batteries and storage media)
Approx. 760g / 26.8oz.(including batteries and xD-Picture Card)
Digital Zoom Approx. 2.0 X (10.7x optical zoom lens is used together: Max. zoom scale: 21.4x)
Shooting modes Normal - Auto, Scene Position, Anti-Blur, Natural Light, Portrait, Landscape, Night
Continuous - 1.Top-4 : Max. 1.5 frames / sec. up to 4 frames
2.Final- 4 : Max. 1.5 frames / sec. up to 4 frames
3.Long-period : Max 1.1 frames / sec. up to 40 frames
High speed shooting
Colour modes STANDARD/ CHROME / B&W
Last edited by SunsetTwilight on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a severe lightning storm, grab ya ankles and stick ya butt in the air.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

stormygirl wrote:Hi everyone,

I didn't want to start a new thread, as hopefully it will my future camera, but does anyone have any idea when the Nikon D7000 will be available to buy?? I can't seem to find much info online at all, and I'm getting pretty desperate! I am looking at buying from OS as the US dollar is fabulous and I refuse to be ripped off by buying it here! The only problem is I would love to 'try before I buy' but it's impossible at the moment as it hasn't been released in Aus. Frustrating!!

Any idea??
Hi Jane,

The Nikon D7000 is now available in Australia at most camera stores (Teds etc).
Cameraworld.com sells for $1,200, Teds @ $1,900 :o
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

Cheers, Sniper!

I had a play of the cam at Hardly Normals last Saturday, and have fallen in love with it! There are some 'issues' with it with dead pixels and a focussing issue on non kit lenses, which I hope they sort out soon. I'm getting desperate as my poor D70 is on it's last legs! I'd love to purchase at the US prices, but I don't want to risk not having an Aussie warrantee with 'known' problems on the camera. I'll hold off a little longer and then go shopping batting my eyelids and hoping someone will give me a reasonable price! Cheapest I've seen is cameras direct at $1765. Digital World international have it for $1657, but their Aussie outlet is in Sydney, and that would still require expensive postal costs should the need arise to send it back.
I've waited this long, I think I can wait a bit longer.
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

Hi all....I am happy with my Canon 550D sort of a sub pro and came with two lens and 18.2 meg. I mainly use the wide angle lens supplied 18-55 buts its a low end lens the pic returns are good, in low light the 550D occasionally cant make up its mind to fire off especially in cloud at low light but there are various selections to overcome that, its a strong camera and has been dragged around in the rear floorwell across Aus and the USA, been dropped and hit by a hailstone in Oklahoma, I use a Sony FX 7 for video backed up with a tiny panasonic 3ccd, both record on wide screen and both use mini Dv that can be swapped between the two, the FX 7 is HD. We purchased several HD mini Dv's but found the quality was not much better than standard HD tapes. I dont have the confidence in Hard drive camcorders I have seen several uses curse the day they bought them when they fail out in the field or they have to download, the card camcorders appear OK just change the card when full. The only problem I have with the Sony FX7 is a split frame when filming lightning its annoying..another occasional problem with the SONY is dew on the drums and the camera will shut down if it detects a build of grime on the recording drums, a great thing if your face to face with an EF4

best regards Clyve Herbert
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Thanks Clive, thinking of upgrading my Canon 400d, with very limited funds, so the 550d seems the next logical step, and I like the idea of the HD video function.... hmmmmm :)
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

5dmk2 upgrade for me has been a wise move. Lots of improvements on the old model that i have been enjoying for the past couple of months. Should have some new photos up soon in my photo thread.
P
Pete
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pete »

I have a piddly little Kodak atm. Hoping to win a Sony alpha DSLR a350, anyone have any ideas on what sort of camera is it. I really would like to get into professional photography someday - I just don't have the money.