Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

I just wanted my camera cleaned......

Upload a picture and share it with us. Of nature at it's finest!!! Remember there is more on this earth than weather!!! The world is literally your frame.....
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

I just wanted my camera cleaned......

Post by mick »

Seven weeks ago, i sent my 350D to canon for a "full clean and service". The fact that it took ten days to appear in their system, after being shipped APE should have been warning enough.

I got a call about a week after that and after many emails and calls, was told that there was nothing wrong with it. Eureka, yes it just needs a clean and service. It arrived back to me a week after that with a bug in the viewfinder, looked like a baby flea, and the foam strip at the 12 oclock position if looking into the body of the camera was torn, I think the mirror rests on it when it flips. So I let Canon know I was not happy, and returned it to them again. I wait a couple of weeks and enquire. i was told "very busy, should be looked at next week". I go to pains to explain that this is a return for rework, all I wanted was a clean and service. it had received neither and had come back to me worse than when it left. Whats more, I have been charged $94.60 for the pleasure.

Amazingly it gets bumped up the queue last week and was returned to me today. The paperwork was marked "replaced focus plate" Indeed the bug was gone and the view is a lot clearer, I didnt realise how clouded it had become until I see this new plate in action. However the foam strip that canon damaged remains. Blind freddy could spot it, I would expect a qualified technician to spot it. It thats not bad enough, a 3cm black hair from a head or a brush, was lodged in one of the inner rings where the lens attaches, proudly standing up under the body cap.

Needless to say I am less than happy with the whole affair and have told Ccanon to send me the foam part and I will get it fitted. I also asked for my $94.60 back.

I feel so let down. I have touted the pros of Canon for years, how good their service was etc. Theres no way found I would be sending anything worth thousands to canon for repair. If they cant handle a 350D after 2 goes, I wouldnt want them near a white lens of 60D.

Having worked in service for many years, Ii cant help but think it was given to the 1st year apprentice to work on.

I will let you know what they have to say. My next camera will be a Nikon.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: I just wanted my camera cleaned......

Post by Rivergirl »

That's absolutely terrible Mick. You wouldn't call it service. Let us know how it goes. I've been using Canon SLR's since the 60s but never had to deal with Canon, only a popular dealer who had my camera for 8 months when I had it in for a repair. That's a story and a half. Good luck.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

I've never sent in my 30D to Canon for a sensor clean so don't have any experiences with them but I know a lot of Camera shops clean them as well, I've done it myself about 5 times now. With the right tools and cleaner it can easily be done, just need to be careful and everything will be fine.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Yes I think you should stick to cleaning it yourself. I've used Arctic Butterfly and that seems ok.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Well Canon has gladly refunded my money and is sending me the foam strip. They offer to fit it for me if I sent the camera back for a third time. Somehow I think I would be pushing my luck with courier damage if I did that.

Im glad the ordeal is over, it was giving me the irits. They got off lightly.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Good to hear Mick. I can imagine how frustrated you were getting
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

There's a place in Collingwood that I've used to clean my Canon and they were really good (and $75) - just have to find their card.....
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

The place you are refering to i think is
http://www.cameraclinic.com.au/

I want to send mine off there very soon, as i have a wedding to shoot in the end of May, but a bit weary about sending it via courier.... and not sure if i can get the time to drive it down there myself. Plus the service I'm not to sure about either. I just found them online..so if anyone has used them, let me know please. :)
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...