Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Weather station advice

Archived Nerdy Forum (Weather Q&A).
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Weather station advice

Post by Ausmammal »

Thanks Shell,

I went wit this one:
$279 & $18 delivery: WS-2308 La Crosse Weather Station+ Leatherman Freestyle FREE Bonus Leatherman Freestyle Multi-tool Worth $110
Ordered it yesterday and hopefully will receive it tomorrow.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

:bunnydance: :cheers2: :thumbsup: :woooo:
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

I have just paid for the Davis Vantage Pro 2 from overseas. Its expected to arrive here before Christmas, on the 21st or something. Can't wait!! :P
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

bet your excited I would be.. be interesting to know how it all goes Jake.

Ausmammal how did yours go..?
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

Havn't received it yet Shell, I guess Monday or Tuesday.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

Hi guys,

I don't tend to come here often as I have never really had a proper weather station. But yesterday I decided to buy myself one that I happened to see at the local market (maybe that was my mistake)

I bought myself a Maxkon wireless weather station. It says its model number WS-1050 and a frequency of 433 MHz.

Now I follow the procedures on the instruction manual in regards to placing the batteries in and connecting the cables from the wind and rain sensors into the Thermo-Hygro sensor. However my issue is, the indoor base sensor is not receiving any data from the outdoor transmitter. The manual says it may take up to 3 hours for data to be received when there is a change of batteries etc but after doing this a number of times, still no data is being received apart from humidity.

Does anyone have any suggestions I could take, or should I just say to myself....never buy from the market again!

If you guys wanted to email me at norfolk75@yahoo.com instead of or as well as here, by all means it would be great.

HELP!!!!!!

Tony (norfolk75@yahoo.com)
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

My first one I had troubles with and I had the wrong cables in wind and temp, but If you say you have them correctly
fitted, Google and see if they have a number to ring for customer support..
At least you have one bit working. .hehehe
Good Luck.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

I have been trying to google, but I can not seem to find anything specific to the model I have. I am thinking it may be an old model
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

keep hunting, sometimes if they are a PDF file you need to really hunt it down.
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

norfolk wrote:I have been trying to google, but I can not seem to find anything specific to the model I have. I am thinking it may be an old model
Try this: http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/Manuals/ws1050.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It looks to be the same model as yours. Hope it helps.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

Ausmammal wrote:
norfolk wrote:I have been trying to google, but I can not seem to find anything specific to the model I have. I am thinking it may be an old model
Try this: http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/Manuals/ws1050.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It looks to be the same model as yours. Hope it helps.

Yes, this does look exactly like mine, however I really am stumped, done everything suggested in trouble shooting.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Could it be the battery from the outdoor transmitter? Have you bought a new one and replaced it? Does it use solar power to charge the battery, could it be an issue with the solar panel?

I'd contact the manufacturer.
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

I've received my WS.... :thumbsup: :mexicanwave: :woooo: Won't be another few days or weekend by the time I can get up on the roof to set it up. Will have to fabricate some mounts to hold/fit the wind and rain guage to. OH and the batteries.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

dont muck around.
I left it up to my hubby and we missed out on it being up when the wind storm went through 25 aug 09?
and we lost tree's. blown straight over, was I having to bite my tongue..
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

finally got it on the roof, wiring needs a clean up and a permanent place to be set for the Thermo-Hygro Sensor but it's working. Hoping for some rain and stronger winds to come through now :) to make sure it works ok. Tested all parts inside before setting it up there so fingers crossed it stays working. NOW :bringiton: :snowflake: :rainfall: :raining: :lighting: :windy: :cyclone1: (well maybe not the last one) hehehe
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Well my Davis Vantage Pro 2 arrived a couple of days before Christmas! I was not allowed to use it until Christmas Day. So I set it up and it works wonders!! Thanks for the help Jane and Lily. ;)

The only data that I have trouble with is the wind at this stage. I am pretty sure it is under-reading the wind speed due to the placement of the anemometre, which is about 3 metres off the ground. What has everybody else done with theirs ? I have a 12m cable to use for it. For instance, today, it is reading wind speeds up to 25 km/h generally with a few 30 km/h gusts, however stations around me, are reading winds up to 50 km/h. What is the best placement for my anemometre?
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
L
Leroy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Leroy »

Hi Power storm, with height depending on your setup it best to be in the open as much as possible and clear any obstructions that shelter the wind. If you purchased the wireless vantage pro 2 you could always buy the Anemometer transmitter kit, which i purchased a few months ago and works excellent .

This allows you to go a fair way from the iss unit and without cables. Also local effects can obstruct winds and enhance winds, valleys hills etc, so for your area this may be the case. Pm me if you want any help with things.
Last edited by Leroy on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

HI Jake,

ours are on the top of the post which houses the ISS - as high as we could get them...and tied the cable down the pole..they are both very accurate....Jane
gb01.jpg
gb01.jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 22196 times
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Ah, geez. I really need to get mine up higher by the sounds of it lol. I always knew my placement wasn't going to be the best with windspeeds due to restricted areas around my house. The ideal place here would be out the front but it would get stolen or vandalised no doubt :|

Leroy and Jane, you guys are legends with this stuff. Thanks for imparting your knowledge :)

Can I ask, do either of you know if it's possible to change the time the WS starts a new day? ie. it resets at 12 midnight, but it would be good to have it record through to 9am like the BOM for comparison purposes. Is that possible?

FYI, I'm pretty sure my data issues experienced a few months ago are due to not enough solar power for the battery. I put some of the gel "stuff" on the battery points as suggested online (thanks Leroy for all the tips and advice), but I continued to have issues. Once the days grew a bit longer and the sun was out for greater stretches, the ad-hoc loss of data in the wee hours of the morning stopped too. Haven't had an issue since :)
L
Leroy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Leroy »

Hi Lilly, no problems at all glad to help. I have a link that could help with the low battery warning that could develop again in a couple of months for you.

it's from the Davis website, and it mentions that problem, just go to the vantage vue firmware and check your model no and confirm before install, you probably have 2.12 on your system

at the moment and the new one is 2.14 it's a zip file and will install from pc, if you have 2.14 installed already disregard, just pm me or call if you have my no still if your uncertain.

The link is http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/software.asp . Regarding the 9am resetting that has been a problem for me for a long time, I think only Australia and

New Zealand adopt this format, and most weather stations don't support this feature. There is software similar to weather link that has a 9am reset time but you need the PC on 24/7

for this to work which becomes a pain. The rain gauge logger i use i have to upload to csv file and use excel to total the daily rain to 9am as well, the people i got this logger through are trying to develop a

pivot table in excel so i can upload it to this and it totals it to 9am automatically , it gets complicated at times and excel is not my specialty.

I'm thinking of giving Davis in the us a call and putting in a request for this option , the guy i got my equipment through has called them a while a go and they said there was not the demand for it, i can only try.

It becomes a pain trying to add rainfall through weatherlink from 12am to 9am, if they added a 9am option or option you could choose what reset times for each sensor that would be great, there are

a lot of Davis weather stations in Australia now who use the weatherlink weather site for displaying there data and it would just finish off a all ready great product. Any Problems let me no. Leroy.