Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

What should I be looking for?

Archived Nerdy Forum (Weather Q&A).
n
noddy130
New User
Reactions:

What should I be looking for?

Post by noddy130 »

Hi,

This is my first post and I'm looking to get my own station. My price range is up to $500 (at a push). I won't be able to put the rain gauge close to the ground as I have a Rottweiler that will either contribute to the readings or destroy the unit. I will probably be looking to mount on my roof although I could mount under the bullnose verandah on the southern side of the house which will not see much/if any sun. I also have a 5kw solar system on the roof in case the reflected heat/light will have any impact. I would like the setup to be wireless as it may be on the roof and the rain gauge to be self emptying. So my question is should I be looking at an 'all in one' system or look at buying the separate components? I have been reading about the Davis vantage vue, pro 2 and the la crosse ws2355 but still have no idea what I am looking at at this stage. Please help a newbie with your thoughts/opinions and don't be afraid to tell me I'm dreaming...

Thanks in advance

Trav
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: What should I be looking for?

Post by Rivergirl »

Welcome to the AWF Trav :)

I know Aus Sky and Weather sell great weather stations but they are over in the US atm. I'm sure one of the weather people will point you in the right direction
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: What should I be looking for?

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Hi Trav,

Thanks for posting.

I'm not specifically good when it comes to weather stations, however as Robyn mentioned AusSky and Weather do sell them. I have the Davis Vantage Pro 2 and it works superbly! I'd suggest buying an 'all-in-one' weather station as they are much easier to set-up and probably less expensive.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.